Solving Motion Problems: V.Confused Homework Statement

• Thread starter Jason17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, an aircraft with a mass of 5.8 x 10^4 kg has a constant total thrust of 2.1 x 10^5N as it stands at the end of the runway. To calculate the initial acceleration, Newton's second law, F=ma, is used to rearrange for a and then substituted into the motion equations. For part (ii), the motion equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as can be used to find the length of runway needed for the aircraft to reach its take off speed of 85 ms-1.
Jason17

Homework Statement

An aircraft of mass 5.8 x 10^4 kg stands at the end of the runway ready for take-off. The engines provide a constant total thrust of 2.1 x 10^5N

i)Calculate the initial acceleration in ms-2 of the aircraft as it starts to move

ii) Calculate the length in m of runway needed for the aircraft to reach its take off speed of 85 ms-1 , assuming acceleration is constant

Homework Equations

Motion Equations

v = u + at
s = (u + v)/2 * t
s = ut + 1/2*at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 3.6ms to part i) but i can't seem to get anywhere near that.
I really don't know where to start.
Do i square both numbers and square root it? I just need a guide to lead me what info i have and what info i need.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (i) Have you tried F=ma ?

Newton's 2nd law, F=ma

for i) use f=ma you know the force from thrust and the mass of the object so rearrange to give
a=f/m
that will give you your acceleration then substitute that into you motion equations
you have a, u and v. you want to find t
v=u+at
rearrange to give t

wow..
i just figured it out myself just then.

i look very stupid now :\

Ok i got part i) done but what about part ii) ?

read above

Marshall10488 said:
for i) use f=ma you know the force from thrust and the mass of the object so rearrange to give
a=f/m
that will give you your acceleration then substitute that into you motion equations
you have a, u and v. you want to find t
v=u+at
rearrange to give t

Ok so i got these

a: 3.6ms
u: 85ms
v: 0ms?
t: ?

Is that the right layout?
But why would you want to find 't'? when your asked to find the 'length' ?
I assume you get the value for 't' and substitute into s=ut+0.5at^2?

Ps. How do you distinguish something as an initial velocity(u) and final velocity(v)?
Eg. The take off speed of 85ms in the question.

Last edited:
There is another of the motion equations with V,U,a and distance.

What is the purpose of solving motion problems in science?

Solving motion problems allows scientists to calculate and predict the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion. This is essential in understanding and explaining the physical world around us.

What are the basic principles involved in solving motion problems?

The basic principles involved in solving motion problems include understanding the relationships between distance, time, velocity, and acceleration, and using mathematical equations such as the kinematic equations to calculate these values.

What are some common types of motion problems encountered in science?

Some common types of motion problems encountered in science include calculating the speed and distance of an object in free fall, determining the velocity and acceleration of a moving car, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile.

How can I approach solving a confusing motion problem?

First, make sure you understand the given information and identify what is being asked in the problem. Next, use the appropriate formula or equation to solve for the unknown variable. If you are still confused, try breaking the problem into smaller, simpler parts and then combining the solutions.

What are some tips for successfully solving motion problems?

Some tips for successfully solving motion problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, carefully labeling all given information, double-checking your calculations, and using units consistently throughout the problem. It can also be helpful to practice solving a variety of motion problems to improve your skills.