Motorcycle trooper overtaking a car.

In summary, the trooper sets out to catch the car after it passes the billboard. With a constant acceleration of 2.00 m/s2, the trooper overtakes the car at the point where their positions are equal. This can be determined by finding the intersection of the two curves on a velocity vs. time graph.
DatAshe

Homework Statement

A car traveling at a constant speed of 51.5 m/s passes a trooper on a motorcycle hidden behind a billboard. One second after the speeding car passes the billboard, the trooper sets out from the billboard to catch the car, accelerating at a constant rate of 2.00 m/s2. How long does it take her to overtake the car? Solve this problem by a graphical method. On the same graph plot position versus time for the car and the police officer. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)

From the intersection of the two curves read the time at which the trooper overtakes the car.
s

Homework Equations

a=(v-v_o)/t

d/Δt=constant speed

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have anything good to put here. I have no clue what I am doing on this question. I also have a question about a race car overtaking another race car and I have no idea of what to do on that one either. I would really appreciate a conceptual explanation over an answer, because I want to know how to do it for the future. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need "distance vs time" equations for car and trooper.

What would an example of a distance vs time equation be? Like, speed=d/deltat or acceleration=deltax/deltat or something else?

You have motion with constant speed and motion with constant acceleration. There are formulas for distance vs time for both.

It is velocity vs. time graph.
As you see the car is traveling at constant speed.
For the trooper for first second, his velocity is zero.
Then he accelerates at constant rate.
Acceleration means the Δv/Δt, the ratio of the change of velocity over change of time.
Since it is constant, it must be a straight line.

The time taken for the trooper to overtake the car is the point where he is same displacement/location as the car.

Displacement of the car is just a rectangle area and the trooper is a triangular area(velocity x time).

Then on the same graph you can plot position versus time for the car and the police officer

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a motorcycle trooper overtaking a car?

The purpose of a motorcycle trooper overtaking a car is to maintain safety and enforce traffic laws on the road. They may also be responding to an emergency or performing a traffic stop.

2. How does a motorcycle trooper overtake a car?

A motorcycle trooper may overtake a car by using their training and specialized equipment to maneuver through traffic safely and efficiently. They may also use hand signals and lights to communicate with the driver of the car.

3. Is it legal for a motorcycle trooper to overtake a car?

Yes, it is legal for a motorcycle trooper to overtake a car as long as they follow all traffic laws and regulations. They are trained professionals who are authorized to use their vehicles to maintain safety on the road.

4. What precautions should a driver take when a motorcycle trooper is overtaking their car?

A driver should stay calm and follow the instructions of the motorcycle trooper. They should maintain a safe distance and avoid making sudden or unpredictable movements. It is also important to signal and pull over to the side of the road if directed by the trooper.

5. How can I become a motorcycle trooper?

To become a motorcycle trooper, one must first become a certified police officer and then undergo specialized training for motorcycle operation. Requirements may vary by state or country, but typically include physical fitness, written and practical exams, and completion of a training program.