Mouse Not Working? Quick Fixes to Try

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary: You're still using a PC when those came out and didn't see a lot of difference between Mac and PC then, so, yeah, you can complain they suck. They can act pretty strange with OS X installed too (I wasn't even sure if you could install it on them)....:rolleyes:
JamesU
Gold Member
I would've posted this in Hardware, but I'm using the tab key to do everything. I reconnected it (wireless) and put new batteries.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it logitech?

Yes, it's logitech

Ah, Logitech, so predictable. :rolleyes: Change the USB port that it's plugged into. Then reset on both mouse and receiver.

It's not in a USB, the reciever is plugged into the mouse and keyboard slots.

Ah... well logitech has this thing where their mouses stop working for unknown reasons and just getting the computer to re-calibrate them will fix again. So, try unplugging it and restarting then plugging it back in or something. Do you have an installation CD? Try re-installing.

- Although since it's a set I really can't say any of this with any confidence.

I've unplugged it and everything. I'm trying to avoit restarting the computer, because mine lags up whenever I do that, for about half an hour.

yomamma said:
because mine lags up whenever I do that, for about half an hour.
If it was USB i'd tell you it would probably be fine if you tried resetting the mouse while unplugged and/or left it unplugged for any amount of time, then plugged it back in.

Here's some ways to speed up your computer:
http://www.speedupyourcomputer.windowsreinstall.com/

yomamma said:
I've unplugged it and everything. I'm trying to avoit restarting the computer, because mine lags up whenever I do that, for about half an hour.

Ever thought of getting a computer upgrade instead of a Ti-89 titanium?

EDIT: Or switching to windows 98 :uhh: :devil:

98?! :yuck: I have XP

it turns out that I turned it off, woked fine. only lagged for a few minutes

Maybe you should get a mightier mouse?

Of course much of the functionality is lost when using a PC.

yomamma said:
it turns out that I turned it off, woked fine.
:rolleyes: <- 'nuff said

yomamma said:
98?! :yuck: I have XP

it turns out that I turned it off, woked fine. only lagged for a few minutes
You put it in a wok?! Well maybe that's the problem! :tongue:

How coudl you not consider restarting your computer if something goes wrong. It's like the first part of troubleshooting. And if your computer takes longer than a minute to start up you need to optimize that ish.

try xandros or linspire :)

cefarix said:
try xandros or linspire :)

Keyword right there
:smile:
I actually have it installed on my computer along with xp

yomamma said:
I know how to solve that problem...get a Mac! :biggrin:

Yes, but if I get a mac, I will be totally confused, and I'd have to pay a bunch of money for something I don't even like.

Our school has a room full of iMacs, and everyone absolutely hates them. They used to be computers at one time... :bugeye:

yomamma said:
Yes, but if I get a mac, I will be totally confused, and I'd have to pay a bunch of money for something I don't even like.
It's not the Mac's fault that you're confused. :rofl:

Our school has a room full of iMacs, and everyone absolutely hates them. They used to be computers at one time... :bugeye:
Yeah, but you said those are 6 years old, and even those probably don't lag up for a half hour on start up. :biggrin: Are those even the smoke or white colored ones, or are you still using the really ancient blue ones at school?

Well, it's only a monitor, and the back of the monitors are transparent black, blue, and (I think) purple.

yomamma said:
Well, it's only a monitor, and the back of the monitors are transparent black, blue, and (I think) purple.
:rofl: Okay, they're the second generation of iMacs. The first ones were all blue (blueberry actually), then they came out with the colors: blueberry, tangerine, grape, strawberry, and lime (I think that's what they called the green one). Smoke (the transparent gray) came next, then the white ones. The smoke ones are okay, even though they are getting up there in years, but the fruit-flavored ones are pretty pathetic. That was when Mac was just trying to get back in business and offered incredible educational discounts on those (I think the university I was at when those came out negotiated them for about $500 each, which was a great price at the time, especially when people were panicking about Y2K and they were being advertised as Y2K compliant, so everyone was replacing ancient computers all at once).

I was still using a PC when those came out and didn't see a lot of difference between Mac and PC then, so, yeah, you can complain they suck. They can act pretty strange with OS X installed too (I wasn't even sure if you could install it on them). The newer macs are much better. They've really built up their product line since then.

1. Why is my mouse not working?

There could be several reasons why your mouse is not working. It could be due to a hardware issue, such as a faulty connection or a damaged mouse. It could also be caused by a software issue, such as outdated drivers or a conflict with other programs.

2. How do I troubleshoot my non-working mouse?

The first step in troubleshooting your mouse is to check the hardware. Make sure the mouse is properly connected to your computer and that the batteries (if applicable) are not dead. If the hardware seems fine, try updating the drivers or restarting your computer. You can also try using a different mouse to see if the issue is with the specific mouse or your computer.

3. My mouse is not responsive. How can I fix it?

If your mouse is not responding at all, try restarting your computer or checking for any software updates. You can also try unplugging and replugging the mouse or using a different USB port. If these quick fixes do not work, there may be a hardware issue and you may need to replace the mouse.

4. Why is my mouse cursor moving erratically?

If your mouse cursor is moving in unexpected ways, it could be due to a dirty or damaged mouse sensor, a surface that is not suitable for the mouse, or a software issue. Try cleaning the mouse sensor and using a mouse pad. If the issue persists, try updating the drivers or restarting your computer.

5. Can I fix my non-working mouse myself?

In most cases, you can fix a non-working mouse yourself by trying the quick fixes mentioned above. However, if the issue is due to a hardware problem, it may be best to seek professional help or replace the mouse altogether.