Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mouse not working

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

I would've posted this in Hardware, but I'm using the tab key to do everything. I reconnected it (wireless) and put new batteries.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2
    Is it logitech?

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

Yes, it's logitech

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4
    Ah, Logitech, so predictable. :rolleyes: Change the USB port that it's plugged into. Then reset on both mouse and receiver.

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

It's not in a USB, the reciever is plugged into the mouse and keyboard slots.

7. Sep 12, 2005 #6
    Ah..... well logitech has this thing where their mouses stop working for unknown reasons and just getting the computer to re-calibrate them will fix again. So, try unplugging it and restarting then plugging it back in or something. Do you have an installation CD? Try re-installing.

- Although since it's a set I really can't say any of this with any confidence.

8. Sep 12, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I've unplugged it and everything. I'm trying to avoit restarting the computer, because mine lags up whenever I do that, for about half an hour.

9. Sep 12, 2005 #8
    If it was USB i'd tell you it would probably be fine if you tried resetting the mouse while unplugged and/or left it unplugged for any amount of time, then plugged it back in.

Here's some ways to speed up your computer:
    http://www.speedupyourcomputer.windowsreinstall.com/

10. Sep 12, 2005 #9
    Ever thought of getting a computer upgrade instead of a Ti-89 titanium?

EDIT: Or switching to windows 98 :uhh: :devil:

11. Sep 12, 2005 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

98?! :yuck: I have XP

it turns out that I turned it off, woked fine. only lagged for a few minutes

12. Sep 13, 2005 #11

Mk

Maybe you should get a mightier mouse?

Of course much of the functionality is lost when using a PC.

13. Sep 13, 2005 #12
    :rolleyes: <- 'nuff said

14. Sep 13, 2005 #13
    You put it in a wok?! Well maybe that's the problem! :tongue:

15. Sep 13, 2005 #14
    How coudl you not consider restarting your computer if something goes wrong. It's like the first part of troubleshooting. And if your computer takes longer than a minute to start up you need to optimize that ish.

16. Sep 13, 2005 #15
    try xandros or linspire :)

17. Sep 13, 2005 #16
    Keyword right there
    :smile:
    I actually have it installed on my computer along with xp :surprised

18. Sep 13, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know how to solve that problem....get a Mac! :biggrin:

19. Sep 13, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

Yes, but if I get a mac, I will be totally confused, and I'd have to pay a bunch of money for something I don't even like.

Our school has a room full of iMacs, and everyone absolutely hates them. They used to be computers at one time... :bugeye:

20. Sep 13, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not the Mac's fault that you're confused. :rofl:

Yeah, but you said those are 6 years old, and even those probably don't lag up for a half hour on start up. :biggrin: Are those even the smoke or white colored ones, or are you still using the really ancient blue ones at school?

21. Sep 13, 2005 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

Well, it's only a monitor, and the back of the monitors are transparent black, blue, and (I think) purple.

22. Sep 13, 2005 #21

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Okay, they're the second generation of iMacs. The first ones were all blue (blueberry actually), then they came out with the colors: blueberry, tangerine, grape, strawberry, and lime (I think that's what they called the green one). Smoke (the transparent gray) came next, then the white ones. The smoke ones are okay, even though they are getting up there in years, but the fruit-flavored ones are pretty pathetic. That was when Mac was just trying to get back in business and offered incredible educational discounts on those (I think the university I was at when those came out negotiated them for about $500 each, which was a great price at the time, especially when people were panicking about Y2K and they were being advertised as Y2K compliant, so everyone was replacing ancient computers all at once).

I was still using a PC when those came out and didn't see a lot of difference between Mac and PC then, so, yeah, you can complain they suck. They can act pretty strange with OS X installed too (I wasn't even sure if you could install it on them). The newer macs are much better. They've really built up their product line since then.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook