Can You Share Design Tips for Bolted Joints That Won't Loosen?

In summary, the conversation is about designing bolted joints that can move with resistance without loosening the bolt. The solution involves creating greater friction/torque between the male/female threads than the clamping effect of the bolt, and using a thread locking technique such as nyloc or loctite. The individual is seeking design guidelines or tips for these types of joints.
jstluise
I'm looking for some info/guidelines on designing bolted joints that are made to move with some resistance/friction...all without loosening the bolt. Think of a legs of a camera tripod; the legs can rotate in and out with resistance, but they never loosen.

It seems the basic idea is that the friction/torque securing the bolt (between the male/female threads) must be greater than the friction/torque created by the clamping effect of the bolt (between the bolt head and the moving part). So, some sort of thread locking technique is necessary (nyloc, loctite, etc).

I would be very interested hear any design guidelines/tips for these types of joints.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
jstluise said:
I'm looking for some info/guidelines on designing bolted joints that are made to move with some resistance/friction...all without loosening the bolt. Think of a legs of a camera tripod; the legs can rotate in and out with resistance, but they never loosen.

It seems the basic idea is that the friction/torque securing the bolt (between the male/female threads) must be greater than the friction/torque created by the clamping effect of the bolt (between the bolt head and the moving part). So, some sort of thread locking technique is necessary (nyloc, loctite, etc).

I would be very interested hear any design guidelines/tips for these types of joints.

Thanks!
hmmm...

It sounds like you understand the problem perfectly.

I translate your post as;

"I know how mousetraps work. Can someone give me a better idea for a mousetrap."

1. What is a movable bolted joint?

A movable bolted joint is a type of mechanical connection between two or more parts that allows for movement or rotation. It consists of a bolt, nut, and washer that are used to secure the parts together, while still allowing for some degree of motion.

2. How is a movable bolted joint designed?

A movable bolted joint is designed by considering factors such as the size and strength of the bolt and nut, the type of materials being joined, and the expected amount of movement. Calculations and simulations are often used to determine the optimal design for a specific application.

3. What are the advantages of using a movable bolted joint?

One of the main advantages of a movable bolted joint is its ability to accommodate movement or rotation between parts. This can be useful in applications where there may be slight variations in alignment or when parts need to move or flex under certain conditions. Additionally, bolted joints are relatively easy to assemble and disassemble, making them convenient for maintenance or repairs.

4. What are some common types of movable bolted joints?

There are several types of movable bolted joints, including slip joints, pivot joints, and swivel joints. Slip joints allow for linear movement between parts, pivot joints allow for rotation around a fixed point, and swivel joints allow for both linear and rotational movement.

5. How can I ensure the reliability of a movable bolted joint?

To ensure the reliability of a movable bolted joint, it is important to follow proper design and installation guidelines. This includes using the correct size and grade of bolts and nuts, ensuring proper alignment and clearance between parts, and using appropriate torque and tightening techniques. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.