Mozart does not make you smarter

• Medical
  • Thread starter Type 7
  • Start date
In summary, the article found that there is no evidence that passively listening to Mozart or any other music you enjoy makes you smarter. However, more studies should be done to find out whether music lessons could raise your child's IQ in the long term.
Type 7
From Nature.com/news

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070409/full/070409-13.html

According to the article, there has never been a systematic review of the literature supporting the so-called Mozart Effect until now. The report concluded that

"Passively listening to Mozart — or indeed any other music you enjoy — does not make you smarter. But more studies should be done to find out whether music lessons could raise your child's IQ in the long term..."

I think it was mostly wishful thinking anyway, part of the cult of Mozart. However I do think that Mozart can have a marked effect on one's mood. Does for me anyway.

Biology news on Phys.org
Type_7 says: "I do think that Mozart can have a marked effect on one's mood."

What if IQ is partially produced by your mood?

If I am obsessing over something that upset me, then I take an IQ test, I will (undoubtedly) do worse on the test ... AND so I will have a lower IQ because of it.

On the other hand, I just had a wonderful night's sleep.
I love Mozart's music.
For 2 hours before I take my IQ test, I play my absolute favorite songs.
Then, I take the test.
I am relaxed and refreshed.
I will (probably) do better on the IQ test.
Therefore, Mozart improved my IQ.

Last edited:
I think your mental performance as a lot to do with your mood. This has probably been established.

Solidly-here said:
What if IQ is partially produced by your mood?

Mk said:
I think your mental performance as a lot to do with your mood. This has probably been established.

Which is one of the reasons (along with fatigue) that comprehensive performance evaluations are often scheduled over a period of days. You might be in a better mood one day than the next. I once endured a battery of assessment tests that lasted for eight hours over a two day period. I wish it had been two hours a day or at least a day of rest in between. One thing affecting my mood was the pressure to perform well, which was much less on the second day as my confidence grew (but so did my fatigue).

One of the characteristics of a good mood is an absence of fear (no worries). Fear can certainly hamper the brain's performance. Depression does too. What I wonder is which specific aspects of performance are most affected. The timed tests, which are often actually performance under pressure tests, are more easily handled when one is feeling relaxed and confident. On the other hand, depression has been linked to creativity among artists and writers, so would one perform better on the creativity tests if one were depressed?

I never understood this "Mozart makes you smarter argument". I find Mozart's music far from analytical, on the contrary, I find it playful, emotional and sometimes dramatic. Bach would be a much more obvious candidate to me.

1. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim that listening to Mozart does not make you smarter?

Yes, there is a significant amount of scientific research that has been conducted on the "Mozart effect" and its supposed ability to increase intelligence. Many studies have found no significant link between listening to Mozart and improved cognitive abilities.

2. Why was there a belief that listening to Mozart makes you smarter in the first place?

The idea that listening to Mozart could enhance intelligence can be traced back to a study conducted in 1993, which found that college students who listened to Mozart's music before taking a spatial reasoning test performed better than those who did not. However, subsequent studies have failed to replicate these findings, leading to skepticism about the "Mozart effect."

3. Can listening to Mozart have any other positive effects on the brain?

While there is no evidence to suggest that listening to Mozart can increase intelligence, studies have shown that music in general can have a positive impact on the brain. It has been linked to improving mood, reducing stress, and enhancing creativity.

4. Are there any negative effects of listening to Mozart?

No, there are no known negative effects of listening to Mozart's music. However, some studies have found that listening to certain types of music, including Mozart, can help individuals with specific cognitive or mood-related disorders. It is important to note that these studies are limited and more research is needed in this area.

5. What are some other ways to improve cognitive abilities besides listening to Mozart?

There are many scientifically proven ways to improve cognitive abilities, such as engaging in regular physical exercise, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and challenging the brain with new activities and learning experiences. Additionally, engaging in activities that reduce stress and improve overall well-being can also have a positive impact on cognitive function.