MS Excel: Calculate Weekly Increase/Decrease

In summary, The conversation is about finding an Excel function that will allow for a running total of additional amounts added every week. The user is looking for a function that will work for both adding and subtracting amounts, similar to a bank account. They are hoping to use this function for a highlighted area in their spreadsheet.
treize
Which do I find the excel function for additional amount up every week?

For example: $100 + $50 = $150 last week then add new $50 this week total is $200 to keep the amount up every week. It should work either + /- amount

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
treize said:
Which do I find the excel function for additional amount up every week?

For example: $100 + $50 = $150 last week then add new $50 this week total is $200 to keep the amount up every week. It should work either + /- amount

Thank you.

I'm not completely sure what you are trying to do.

Me neither. It sort of sounds like you want a running total, but that's just a matter of adding an equation in the next colum that adds the number above (previous total) to the number to the left (the next new number to add). It's a pretty simple thing.

Excel Function

That is correct, the similar like the bank amount sub(-) to spend or sum(+) to deposit...amount keep running total up and down everyday all year. I thought the function can work.

For highlight area sample:
excelsample.jpg

What is MS Excel and how does it work?

MS Excel is a spreadsheet software developed by Microsoft. It allows users to organize, manipulate, and analyze numerical data using rows and columns. It is commonly used in businesses, finance, and other industries to perform calculations, create charts and graphs, and store data.

How can I calculate weekly increase or decrease in MS Excel?

To calculate weekly increase or decrease in MS Excel, you can use the formula: (this week's value - last week's value)/last week's value. This will give you a decimal value, which you can then format into a percentage using the "Percentage" format in the "Number" tab. This will show the percentage increase or decrease for that week.

Can I use MS Excel to create a chart or graph to display the weekly increase or decrease?

Yes, MS Excel has a variety of chart and graph options that can be used to display weekly increase or decrease. You can select the data you want to plot, and choose the chart or graph type that best represents your data. You can also customize the appearance and labels of the chart or graph to make it more visually appealing and easy to understand.

Is it possible to automate the calculation of weekly increase or decrease in MS Excel?

Yes, you can use the "AutoFill" feature in MS Excel to automatically calculate the weekly increase or decrease for a large set of data. Simply enter the formula for the first week, and then click and drag the bottom right corner of the cell to the rest of the cells in the column. This will automatically apply the formula to each row, making it easier to calculate the weekly changes.

Are there any other useful functions in MS Excel that can help with calculating weekly increase or decrease?

Yes, there are several built-in functions in MS Excel that can be useful for calculating weekly increase or decrease, such as the "SUM" function to add up values, the "AVERAGE" function to find the average of a set of values, and the "MAX" and "MIN" functions to find the highest and lowest values in a set of data. These functions can be combined with other formulas to create more complex calculations for weekly changes.