MS Excel: Reference Cells Containing Numbers for Other References

• Thread starter 600burger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the conversation is about creating a reference to a cell that contains a number for another reference. The person is trying to make a spreadsheet that turns a list into flashcards and wonders if there is a free third-party program that can do that. They also mention wanting to create a reference to another reference and suggest using a VBA macro. Another person suggests using "Paste Reference" in Excel and asks for more details on what the person wants to do. The conversation ends with one person realizing they were not reading carefully and apologizing for not noticing the Excel part.
600burger
Is there any way to make a referance to a cell that contains a number for another referance?

Like this.

cell A1 contains "J".

I want cell B6 = J10 by referance of A1.

I'm trying to make a spreadsheet that makes a list into flash cards BTW...if anyone knows a 3rd party program (for free) that does that.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
A double reference? so you want to create a reference to another reference? Yes.

If you mean have two references set to the same cell, then it depends on the language.

So essentially you want to go to cell
(A1's letter)10

I would make a VBA macro for that because I'm not sure how it would be done with just formulas.

You can use "Paste Reference" instead of pasting a value. Check out the Excel Help on Paste Reference. If that doesn't work, post more details about what you want to do and I can do an example for you. (For example, where did the 10 come from in your original post?)

err... wait, apparently I was not reading well when I posted... I was did not notice the excel part :-p wow I feel stupid.

1. How do I reference a cell containing a number in MS Excel?

To reference a cell containing a number in MS Excel, you can use the cell's address, also known as its cell reference. For example, if the number is in cell A1, you would use "A1" as the reference in your formula.

2. Can I use a cell reference in multiple formulas?

Yes, you can use a cell reference in multiple formulas. This is one of the main benefits of using cell references in Excel, as it allows you to easily update your formulas if the referenced cell changes.

3. How do I lock a cell reference in Excel?

To lock a cell reference in Excel, you can use the dollar sign ($) in front of the column letter and/or row number in the cell reference. For example, if you want to lock the column but allow the row to change, you would use $A1 as the cell reference.

4. What happens if the cell I am referencing contains a formula?

If the cell you are referencing contains a formula, Excel will use the result of that formula in your current formula. This can be helpful if you are performing calculations based on other calculations.

5. Can I reference cells on another sheet in my Excel workbook?

Yes, you can reference cells on another sheet in your Excel workbook by using the sheet name followed by an exclamation mark (!) before the cell reference. For example, if the cell you want to reference is in Sheet2 and is in cell B3, you would use "Sheet2!B3" as the cell reference in your formula.