Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MS Excel Referances

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    Is there any way to make a referance to a cell that contains a number for another referance?

Like this.

cell A1 contains "J".

I want cell B6 = J10 by referance of A1.

I'm trying to make a spreadsheet that makes a list into flash cards BTW...if anyone knows a 3rd party program (for free) that does that.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2
    A double reference? so you want to create a reference to another reference? Yes.

If you mean have two references set to the same cell, then it depends on the language.
  4. May 2, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So essentially you want to go to cell
    (A1's letter)10

I would make a VBA macro for that because I'm not sure how it would be done with just formulas.
  5. May 2, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

You can use "Paste Reference" instead of pasting a value. Check out the Excel Help on Paste Reference. If that doesn't work, post more details about what you want to do and I can do an example for you. (For example, where did the 10 come from in your original post?)
  6. May 3, 2006 #5
    err... wait, apparently I was not reading well when I posted... I was did not notice the excel part :-p wow I feel stupid.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?