Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mujahidin terrorised Fallujah

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1

plover

Homework Helper

Dr. Ahmed Ghanim's experience:
    Photographer Bilal Hussein's experience:
    War crime investigation by Marines over slaying of prisoner (Reuters, ABC) :

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2
    Thanks for posting the reality of the situation. While I support the movement against Falluja, praise the speedy seige and effectiveness from a military standpoint, we cannot forget that war is not something to be idolized.

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3
    The marine who shot the Iraqi is an element that forms this micro sense of the situtation. All the micro elements adds up to from the macro sense. This entire invasion of Iraq is the macro sense and without just cause. It is a collective act of murder.

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4

It is NOT a WAR! it is a wholesale murder of civilians! your so called terrorists are simple Iraqis fighting occupation!

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5
    Phatmonky i gotta hand it to you, you will make a great Whitehouse spokesman.

7. Nov 16, 2004 #6

kat

Gee whiz, thanks...what would I do without the daily dose of hyperbole.

Mujahidin terrorised Fallujah, residents say

Proving once again that it's Iraqi's fighting for freedom:

Bomb Labs, Hostages Found in Fallujah

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  8. Nov 16, 2004 #7
    I find this humorous because I am often told things along those lines- however, could you expand on what in my statement made you say this?

9. Nov 16, 2004 #8
    "It is NOT a WAR! it is a wholesale murder of civilians! your so called terrorists are simple Iraqis fighting occupation!"

What kind of "fighting occupation" is this when people are getting their heads cut off on camera, including UN and non-profit organization volunteers ? Normally when there is a revolution, you need a united front; I don't see any "liberation front" against the "occupier", is it Al Queada ???

Who and what are they fighting and trying to liberate ? Perhap the school/bridge just recently built or the upcoming election ?

10. Nov 16, 2004 #9
    Atention atention atention... Don't panic.. american forces are destroying the entire city so you can be free... Just DUCK and COVER.....

11. Nov 16, 2004 #10
    If after investigation the conclusions indicate that there were no mitigating factors, and the soldier murdered the insurgent with the requisite malicious mind, then he should be punished as a murderer. Note however, before this event there was a booby trapped insurgent which had killed a US soldier in a similar incident. Note, that the insurgent in question here, in this instant, was faking dead (this was noted in the tape). Note also that the soldier in question (as I understand) had just been shot in the face. Add at least these circumstances before reaching your verdict of guilt please ---

12. Nov 16, 2004 #11

And what about this:

Wounded, another Iraqi writhes on the ground next to his gun. The Marines kill him -- then cheer.

See the video:
    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5365.htm

and god knows how many more cases like this we didn't see... we are shown barely 10% of the images of the war...

13. Nov 16, 2004 #12
    What about it?

14. Nov 16, 2004 #13
    he shoot a wounded unarmed iraki from the back...

15. Nov 16, 2004 #14
    Read my initial post again. I'm not saying this soldier should be allowed to murder. But than again, maybe you shouldn't reach judgments based solely on a 10 second tape.

16. Nov 16, 2004 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its not hyperbole, kat, its an oxymoron: if they are fighting, they aren't civilians.

17. Nov 16, 2004 #16
    You're gonna have to get up earlier to show me some rhetorical propaganda I haven't seen and already dismantled...

Two things about your post and the video you show:
    1> 'NEWS YOU WON'T FIND ON CNN' :rofl: The video IS from CNN
    2> The video is clipped and spliced together (not only is it obvious anyways, take a look at the scrolling at the bottom). Try showing unedited footage.

Come again, thanks.

18. Nov 16, 2004 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's a really old one too - we've already discussed that video (and the ethics of Rules of Engagement) at length.

19. Nov 16, 2004 #18
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/15/marine.probe/index.html

Now, this is super interesting:
    So, they are booby trapping bodies, he sees a guy playing dead...I would say this case isn't as open and shut as everyone is making it.
    Also, aren't there Geneva rules on playing dead to attack someone?

EDIT-
    hrrrmmmm....

20. Nov 16, 2004 #19
    Also there is some indication of evidence that the insurgents had retaken that mosque while this wounded fella was there. Bottom line - that video doesn't tell us the entire story. So maybe, some here need to pull the rope down, get back on their horses, and ride on home.

21. Nov 16, 2004 #20
    Bolding mine -

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/15/marine.probe/index.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?