Multi Dimensions? [Fourth Dimension]

In summary, the conversation is about a 12th grade student participating in a science project on the Fourth Dimension. They are looking for resources and information on the topic and are confused by the large number of books available. They are also unsure if it is a physics or math project. The teacher has assigned six topics for research, with the fourth dimension being perceived differently in physics and math. The student is advised to use the Wikipedia page as a starting point for their research.
Dr. Physics
I am participating in science project on behalf of my school. I am a 12th grade student and very much interested in Maths,Physics and Computer Science.
My teacher has assigned me to do project on Multi Dimension i.e Fourth Dimension.
I need some good stuff of resource and information on Fourth Dimension.
And studying about Fourth Dimension is really hectic. And when I searched for some books on Amazon their were more then 7000 books on Fourth Dimension and I was very confused to which book should I get.
Can you suggest me some good hot information on Fourth Dimensions.
The deadline of my project in 25 March 2012.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a physics project or a math project? It makes a big difference. For physics you would be looking at special relativity with time as the fourth dimension. For math it is much simpler, just add another dimension.

Dr. Physics, Welcome to Physics Forums!

So you have searched the web for books about the Fourth Dimension and found >7,000 books! True, how could you know which one(s) had the information you want. I used "Google" and put in the search terms "fourth dimension universe" and found this Wiki page. It should help you get started. If not, come back here and ask your questions.

"A temporal dimension is a dimension of time. Time is often referred to as the "fourth dimension" for this reason, but that is not to imply that it is a spatial dimension. A temporal dimension is one way to measure physical change. It is perceived differently from the three spatial dimensions in that there is only one of it, and that we cannot move freely in time but subjectively move in one direction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension

Below is what my teacher told me to do some research.
1.Fourth Dimension (Tetraspace)
2.Abstract Concepts that uses the rules of geometry and vectors.
3.4th Dimension was once thought of as an explanation for time before space-time theories were developed.
4.Use algebraic and geometry skills to build a model of a tesseract (4D Cube) by physically or on the computer.
5.Tesseract making concepts.
6.4D Concepts in research use and its future.

Dr. Physics said:
Below is what my teacher told me to do some research.
1.Fourth Dimension (Tetraspace)
2.Abstract Concepts that uses the rules of geometry and vectors.
3.4th Dimension was once thought of as an explanation for time before space-time theories were developed.
4.Use algebraic and geometry skills to build a model of a tesseract (4D Cube) by physically or on the computer.
5.Tesseract making concepts.
6.4D Concepts in research use and its future.

3. is a physics project. All others are math. (6. is ambiguous.)

Dr. Physics, All six of the six topics given to you by your teacher are described in the Wikipedia page referenced in post #3. It offers many references for more "in depth" research as well. No one here on PF is going to "spoon feed" you information on the fourth dimension. Have you studied that wiki article yet? What other research have you done?

1. What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is a theoretical concept in mathematics and physics that refers to an additional dimension beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height. It is often described as the dimension of time, as it represents the movement or change of objects in the three-dimensional world.

2. How many dimensions are there?

In mathematics, there are an infinite number of dimensions, but in physics, there are typically four dimensions: length, width, height, and time. Some theories propose the existence of additional dimensions, such as the fourth dimension, but they have not yet been proven.

3. What is the difference between three dimensions and four dimensions?

The main difference between three dimensions and four dimensions is the addition of time as the fourth dimension. In three dimensions, we can only see objects at a specific point in time, while in four dimensions, we can see the movement and change of objects over time.

4. How do we perceive the fourth dimension?

As humans, we are limited to perceiving the world in three dimensions, so it is impossible for us to directly perceive the fourth dimension. However, we can understand it through mathematical and scientific theories and models.

5. Can we travel through the fourth dimension?

The concept of traveling through the fourth dimension is still a topic of debate and speculation among scientists. Some theories, such as string theory, propose that it may be possible to travel through higher dimensions, but this has not been proven and is currently beyond our technological capabilities.