What is the most general solution for a 2-DOF system?

So the answer to your question is "because that's what the math says we should do" - but the reason the math says that is "because that's the way we define the problem".In summary, when solving the equations of motion for a 2-DOF vibrating system, we assume the same exponent for all components of the generalized coordinates because the idea of "vibration" means that the whole object keeps repeating exactly the same motion in each cycle of vibration. This results in a linear combination of all possible modes of vibration, with each mode having its own frequency and amplitude. This assumption is based on the mathematically proven most general solution for the equations of motion.
boeing_737
Hi all,

I have a question about Multi DOF vibrating systems. For free vibration of undamped MDOF systems, we have the equations of motion as :

[itex]M[/itex] [itex]\ddot{q}[/itex] + [itex]K[/itex] [itex]{q}[/itex] = [itex]{0}[/itex] (1)

Where,
[itex]M[/itex] - n x n mass matrix
[itex]K[/itex] - n x n stiffness matrix
[itex]{q}[/itex] - n x 1 vector of generalized coordinates

Most vibrations book try to obtain the eigenvalue problem by assuming the solution to (1) as
[itex]{q}[/itex] = [itex]{Q}[/itex] [itex]e^{j \omega t}[/itex] (2)

For a 2-DOF system, (2) is
[itex]q_{1}[/itex] = [itex]Q_{1}[/itex] [itex]e^{j \omega t}[/itex] (scalar eqn, 1st component of [itex]{q}[/itex])
[itex]q_{2}[/itex] = [itex]Q_{2}[/itex] [itex]e^{j \omega t}[/itex] (scalar eqn, 2nd component of [itex]{q}[/itex])

My question is why do we assume the same exponent for all components of [itex]{q}[/itex]? Why not assume (for a 2 DOF system) the solution as
[itex]q_{1}[/itex] = [itex]Q_{1}[/itex] [itex]e^{j \omega_{1} t}[/itex]
[itex]q_{1}[/itex] = [itex]Q_{1}[/itex] [itex]e^{j \omega_{2} t}[/itex]

ie, [itex]{q}[/itex] = [itex]W[/itex] [itex]Q[/itex], where [itex]W[/itex] is a diagonal matrix containing the exponent terms?

Thanks,
yogesh

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason is that the idea of "vibration" means that the whole object keeps repeating exactly the same motion in each cycle of vibration. If the frequencies of different parts of the object were different, that would not happen.

Of course the actual motion of the system can be a linear combination of all the possible modes of vibration, but that would mean you were assuming a motion like
[itex]q_1 = Q_{11}e^{j\omega_1 t} + Q_{12}e^{j\omega_2 t}[/itex]
[itex]q_2 = Q_{21}e^{j\omega_1 t} + Q_{22}e^{j\omega_2 t}[/itex]
which isn't very useful if you want to find [itex]\omega_1[/itex] and [itex]\omega_2[/itex].

^AlephZero,
Thanks for the reply. Does that mean if I give random initial displacements (and/or velocities) to both the masses and let go, and trace out [itex]q_{1}[/itex] and [itex]q_{2}[/itex], we will see periodic variations in the response?

The motion would be a combination of both vibration modes. Unless the two frequencies are in a simple ratio like 2:1 or 3:2 the motion will not look "periodic". For example a graph like [itex]\cos(t) + 0.5 \cos(\sqrt2 t)[/itex] shows the sort of motion you would get in the general case.

Agree with what you said. Let's say we didn't know about modes and we want to solve the EOM for a 2-DOF system. If we want to assume a solution to the equations, how would you proceed? What would prompt us to use the same frequency for both the masses?

If you forget about physics and just consider this as a math problem, the EOM is a linear 2nd order differential equation.

If the EOM had 1 DOF, the standard solution method is to assume a solution [itex]x = A e^{pt}[/itex], substitute into the equation, and get a quadratic equation for p. You then find the corresponding values of A from the initial conditions [itex]x(0)[/itex] and [itex]\dot x(0)[/itex].

For a matrix equation the same method works, if you take x and A as vectors. The equation for p is now an eigenvalue equation [itex](K + p^2M)A = 0[/itex]. For each eigenvalue [itex]p_i[/itex] there is a corresponding eigvenvector [itex]A_i[/itex] (multiplied by an arbitrary scaliing factor). The general solution is then
[tex]\sum_i c_i A_i e^{p_i t}[/tex]
where as before the constants [itex]c_i[/itex] are determined by the intial conditions.

Each separate solution [itex]A_i e^{p_i t}[/itex] looks like a "vibrating mode shape" of the structure.

Of course all the p's are pure imaginary numbers, so we write [itex]p_i = j \omega_i[/itex] and the eigenvalue equation is usually written as [itex](K - \omega^2M)A = 0[/itex], but I'm are pretending I don't know any physics here!

It is possible to prove mathematically that this really is the most general solution of the EOM.

1. What is a Multi-DOF vibration system?

A Multi-DOF (Degree of Freedom) vibration system is a mechanical system with multiple degrees of freedom that can move independently of each other. It consists of multiple interconnected masses and springs, and it exhibits complex vibration patterns due to the interaction between the masses and springs.

2. How do Multi-DOF vibration systems differ from single-DOF systems?

Single-DOF systems have only one degree of freedom and can vibrate in only one direction. In contrast, Multi-DOF systems have multiple degrees of freedom and can vibrate in multiple directions simultaneously. This makes the analysis and understanding of Multi-DOF systems more challenging and complex.

3. What factors affect the behavior of Multi-DOF vibration systems?

The behavior of Multi-DOF vibration systems is affected by various factors, including the stiffness and damping of the springs, the mass and geometry of the interconnected masses, and the excitation frequency and amplitude. These factors can influence the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and response amplitudes of the system.

4. How are Multi-DOF vibration systems analyzed?

Multi-DOF vibration systems are typically analyzed using mathematical models and computer simulations. These models can be solved using techniques such as modal analysis, which determines the natural frequencies and mode shapes, and forced response analysis, which predicts the system's response to external excitations. Experimental methods such as modal testing can also be used to analyze Multi-DOF systems.

5. What are some practical applications of Multi-DOF vibration systems?

Multi-DOF vibration systems have various applications, including in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and civil engineering. They are used to design and optimize structures for improved performance and durability, such as buildings, bridges, and aircraft. They are also used in the development of advanced machinery and devices, such as robotics, vehicle suspension systems, and precision instruments.