Multi-Particle QM Homework: Equations & Attempt at Solution

• Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the commutator relation of ##[a(x),a^+(x')]=\delta(x-x')##. The solution involves using integrals and the Hamiltonian operator on the wave function Psi, but the final argument for why it holds without the integral is unclear. More details are needed for further assistance.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question attached:

multi-particle qm.png

Homework Equations

below

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completed this question and the needed commutator relation is that ##[a(x),a^+(x')]=\delta(x-x')##

However I have it all with the integral i.e.

##\int dx_1 dx_2 a^+(x_1)a^+(x_2) \Psi (x_1,x_2) | 0> ##

and

##\int dx_1 dx_2 a^+(x_1)a^+(x_2) \frac{-h^2}{2m}(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_1^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_2^2} ) \Psi (x_1,x_2) |0> ## such terms etc

and am unsure of the final argument needed to explain why it holds without the integral.

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• multi-particle qm.png
    multi-particle qm.png
    29 KB · Views: 950
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Question attached:

View attachment 224316

Homework Equations

below

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completed this question and the needed commutator relation is that ##[a(x),a^+(x')]=\delta(x-x')##

However I have it all with the integral i.e.

##\int dx_1 dx_2 a^+(x_1)a^+(x_2) \Psi (x_1,x_2) | 0> ##

and

##\int dx_1 dx_2 a^+(x_1)a^+(x_2) \frac{-h^2}{2m}(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_1^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_2^2} ) \Psi (x_1,x_2) |0> ## such terms etc

and am unsure of the final argument needed to explain why it holds without the integral.

Many thanks for your help.
It is hard to help without any details about your steps or the precise result of your final expression. I have the gut feeling that you applied H to Psi but that maybe you used the same coordinates in both H and Psi, which can lead to a problem. But again, more details would be helpful.

1. What is Multi-Particle Quantum Mechanics (QM)?

Multi-Particle QM is a branch of quantum mechanics that deals with the study of systems containing multiple particles, such as atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles. It involves understanding the behavior of these particles in terms of their wave-like properties and interactions with each other.

2. What is the purpose of Multi-Particle QM homework?

The purpose of Multi-Particle QM homework is to help students develop an understanding of the fundamental concepts and equations used in this field. It also allows students to practice applying these concepts to solve problems and deepen their understanding of the subject.

3. What types of equations are typically covered in Multi-Particle QM homework?

Multi-Particle QM homework often includes equations related to wave functions, Hamiltonians, energy levels, and particle interactions. Some common equations include the Schrödinger equation, the Pauli exclusion principle, and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. What is the best approach to solving Multi-Particle QM homework?

The best approach to solving Multi-Particle QM homework is to start by understanding the concepts and equations involved. Then, carefully read the problem and identify the relevant equations to use. It is also important to show all steps in the solution and check for any errors or inconsistencies.

5. How can one improve their understanding of Multi-Particle QM through homework?

One can improve their understanding of Multi-Particle QM through homework by actively engaging with the problems and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and peers. It is also helpful to practice solving a variety of problems and regularly review the key concepts and equations.