Multiple Variable Min Max Question

In summary, the critical point for z=(x^5)y+(xy^5)+xy is x=y=0. After factoring the equations given, it is clear that the only solution for both equations is when x=y=0.
stau40

Homework Statement

Find the critical point for z=(x^5)y+(xy^5)+xy

Homework Equations

fx(x,y)=(5x^4)y+(y^5)+y=0
fy(x,y)=x^5+(5xy^4)+x=0

The Attempt at a Solution

After finding fx and fy shown above, I attempt to find the critical points in one of the equations above, but the only number that works (that I can think of) is x=0 or y=0 and this doesn't seem correct to me after substituting it into the other equation. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't doing anything wrong. Factor a y out of the first equation and an x out of the second. Can you make an argument that x=y=0 is the only critical point?

After factoring I'm left with:

fx(x,y)=y(5x^4+y^4+1)=0
fy(x,y)=x(x^4+5y^4+1)=0

Since both equations are to an even power (can't be negative), it brings me to the conclusion that only x=y=0 works.

stau40 said:
After factoring I'm left with:

fx(x,y)=y(5x^4+y^4+1)=0
fy(x,y)=x(x^4+5y^4+1)=0

Since both equations are to an even power (can't be negative), it brings me to the conclusion that only x=y=0 works.

Right. The second factors can never be zero. So the first must.

Related to Multiple Variable Min Max Question

1. What is a multiple variable min max question?

A multiple variable min max question is a type of scientific question that involves finding the minimum and maximum values of multiple variables. This type of question is often used in experiments or data analysis to understand the range of values for different variables and how they relate to each other.

2. Why is it important to consider multiple variables in a min max question?

Considering multiple variables in a min max question is important because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a system or process. By examining the minimum and maximum values of multiple variables, scientists can identify patterns and relationships that may not be apparent when looking at a single variable.

3. What are some common methods for finding the min and max values of multiple variables?

Some common methods for finding the min and max values of multiple variables include graphing, statistical analysis, and mathematical modeling. These methods can help scientists visualize and analyze the data to determine the minimum and maximum values of each variable.

4. How can multiple variable min max questions be applied in real-world scenarios?

Multiple variable min max questions can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as studying the effects of climate change on different ecosystems, analyzing the performance of a new medical treatment on various health indicators, or optimizing production processes in manufacturing industries.

5. What are some potential challenges when dealing with multiple variable min max questions?

Some potential challenges when dealing with multiple variable min max questions include identifying and controlling for confounding variables, accurately measuring and collecting data, and interpreting complex relationships between variables. It is also important to consider the limitations and assumptions of the methods used to find the min and max values.