1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplication table for Z_n

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Create a multiplication table for the group of invertible elements in the ring [tex]Z_{10}[/tex]. Can you rename the elements and arrange them so that the multiplication table is transformed into a multiplication table for the group [tex]Z_n[/tex] for some n?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If [tex]p \in Z_m[/tex], [tex]p[/tex] has an inverse iff [tex]GCD(p,m)=1[/tex], so the invertible elements in [tex]Z_{10}[/tex] are 1, 3, 7 and 9, and we end up with

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 3 & 7 & 9\\
    3 & 9 & 1 & 7\\
    7 & 1 & 9 & 3\\
    9 & 7 & 3 & 1\\
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

as the suspiciously matrix-looking multiplication table in [tex]Z_{10}[/tex].

I don't know what the second sentence of the problem implies though. After attempting proof by asking IRC, I received the reply "Z/10Z =~ Z/2Z x Z/5Z -> (Z/10Z)* =~ (Z/2Z)* x (Z/5Z)* =~ Z/4Z", but I haven't seen any similar notation before. Where do I begin on this, or perhaps, what should I read to get a better understanding of similar problems?

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Combinatus! :smile:

(nice LaTeX, btw! :biggrin:)
    Well, it's a 4x4 matrix, so it obviously can only be the table for Z5

so re-name 3 7 and 9 as some permutation of 2 3 and 4 so that the table works. :wink:

4. May 8, 2010 #3

Thanks for your help! :)

Okay, so in [tex]Z_5[/tex] we get

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 2 & 3 & 4\\
    2 & 4 & 1 & 3\\
    3 & 1 & 4 & 2\\
    4 & 3 & 2 & 1\\
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The permutation that generates this table from the one of the inverses in [tex]Z_{10}[/tex] (i.e. the one in my previous post) is thus 1 -> 1, 3 -> 2, 7 -> 3, 9 -> 4.

The key to the problem, however, says that "If the elements are arranged to 1, 3, 9, 7 and they are named 1 -> 0, 3 -> 1, 7 -> 3, 9 -> 2, you get the table for the group [tex]Z_4[/tex]." Even if you include 0 in the multiplication table for the group [tex]Z_4[/tex], they don't look similar at all, so I'm not sure what they're on about.

5. May 8, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Combinatus! :smile:

hmm … some of Z4 is right, but if 1 -> 0, then there should be 1s (for 0s) all along the top and left of the table (and there aren't) :frown:

the key is wrong … it must be Z5

6. May 8, 2010 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The notation in the key is a bit vague, but what it is saying is that [itex]Z_{10}^*[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]Z_5^*[/itex] (the MULTIPLICATIVE group of units of [itex]Z_5[/itex]), which is isomorphic to [itex]Z_4[/itex] (the ADDITIVE group). This is indeed true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook