Multiplication table for Z_n

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a multiplication table for the invertible elements in the ring Z_{10} and renaming them to form a multiplication table for the group Z_n. The invertible elements in Z_{10} are 1, 3, 7, and 9, and the resulting multiplication table is a 4x4 matrix. The conversation also mentions a key that suggests renaming the elements to form a multiplication table for the group Z_4, but this is incorrect as it should be Z_5. The notation in the key is a bit vague, but it implies that Z_{10}^* is isomorphic to Z_5^*, which is isomorphic to Z_4.
Combinatus

Homework Statement

Create a multiplication table for the group of invertible elements in the ring [tex]Z_{10}[/tex]. Can you rename the elements and arrange them so that the multiplication table is transformed into a multiplication table for the group [tex]Z_n[/tex] for some n?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If [tex]p \in Z_m[/tex], [tex]p[/tex] has an inverse iff [tex]GCD(p,m)=1[/tex], so the invertible elements in [tex]Z_{10}[/tex] are 1, 3, 7 and 9, and we end up with

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 3 & 7 & 9\\
3 & 9 & 1 & 7\\
7 & 1 & 9 & 3\\
9 & 7 & 3 & 1\\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

as the suspiciously matrix-looking multiplication table in [tex]Z_{10}[/tex].

I don't know what the second sentence of the problem implies though. After attempting proof by asking IRC, I received the reply "Z/10Z =~ Z/2Z x Z/5Z -> (Z/10Z)* =~ (Z/2Z)* x (Z/5Z)* =~ Z/4Z", but I haven't seen any similar notation before. Where do I begin on this, or perhaps, what should I read to get a better understanding of similar problems?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Combinatus! :smile:

(nice LaTeX, btw! :biggrin:)
Combinatus said:
Create a multiplication table for the group of invertible elements in the ring [tex]Z_{10}[/tex]. Can you rename the elements and arrange them so that the multiplication table is transformed into a multiplication table for the group [tex]Z_n[/tex] for some n?

Well, it's a 4x4 matrix, so it obviously can only be the table for Z5

so re-name 3 7 and 9 as some permutation of 2 3 and 4 so that the table works. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
:smile:
Thanks for your help! :)

Okay, so in [tex]Z_5[/tex] we get

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2 & 3 & 4\\
2 & 4 & 1 & 3\\
3 & 1 & 4 & 2\\
4 & 3 & 2 & 1\\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The permutation that generates this table from the one of the inverses in [tex]Z_{10}[/tex] (i.e. the one in my previous post) is thus 1 -> 1, 3 -> 2, 7 -> 3, 9 -> 4.

The key to the problem, however, says that "If the elements are arranged to 1, 3, 9, 7 and they are named 1 -> 0, 3 -> 1, 7 -> 3, 9 -> 2, you get the table for the group [tex]Z_4[/tex]." Even if you include 0 in the multiplication table for the group [tex]Z_4[/tex], they don't look similar at all, so I'm not sure what they're on about.

hmm … some of Z4 is right, but if 1 -> 0, then there should be 1s (for 0s) all along the top and left of the table (and there aren't) :frown:

the key is wrong … it must be Z5

tiny-tim said:

hmm … some of Z4 is right, but if 1 -> 0, then there should be 1s (for 0s) all along the top and left of the table (and there aren't) :frown:

the key is wrong … it must be Z5

The notation in the key is a bit vague, but what it is saying is that [itex]Z_{10}^*[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]Z_5^*[/itex] (the MULTIPLICATIVE group of units of [itex]Z_5[/itex]), which is isomorphic to [itex]Z_4[/itex] (the ADDITIVE group). This is indeed true.

1. What is a multiplication table for Zn?

A multiplication table for Zn is a table that shows the results of multiplying any two numbers in the set Zn. Zn is the set of integers modulo n, where n is a positive integer. In simpler terms, it is a table that shows the products of all the numbers in the set Zn with each other.

2. How do I read a multiplication table for Zn?

To read a multiplication table for Zn, first locate the row and column for the two numbers you want to multiply. Then, find the number at the intersection of the row and column. This number is the product of the two numbers you chose.

3. What is the significance of the numbers in a multiplication table for Zn?

The numbers in a multiplication table for Zn represent the products of all the numbers in the set Zn with each other. These products follow a specific pattern, which can be helpful in understanding the properties of multiplication in Zn.

4. Can I use a multiplication table for Zn to perform calculations?

Yes, you can use a multiplication table for Zn to perform calculations. For example, if you want to find the product of 7 and 3 in Z10, you can locate the row for 7 and the column for 3 in the multiplication table for Z10. The number at the intersection of the row and column is the product, which in this case is 1.

5. How is a multiplication table for Zn different from a traditional multiplication table?

A traditional multiplication table shows the products of natural numbers, while a multiplication table for Zn shows the products of integers modulo n. This means that the numbers in a multiplication table for Zn are limited to the set Zn, while a traditional multiplication table includes all natural numbers. Additionally, the patterns and properties of multiplication are different in Zn compared to natural numbers.