1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplier for the whole integral

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\pi[\int \right[ \frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}}{x^4+sin(x)^2}\left]\;dx[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

As above

3. The attempt at a solution

Is there some sort of identity not sure even where to start this one?

Sorry that pi is obviously meant to be a multiplier for the whole integral if that isn't clear.

It's not actually outside per se.

You can easily put it before the dx in a relevant format relation to the equation.

It's just a constant outside the integral instead of inside so think of it as the +C if that helps.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Integral

Where did you get this integral from? By observation, it looks like an integral without an elementary anti-derivative.

4. Dec 19, 2009 #3

In an advanced text book, I assume there is a solution but it might as you say be some sort of Taylor series type equation?

I admit it's not technically homework but I thought this would be the place to put it?

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4

wolfram says "No!" :P

6. Dec 19, 2009 #5

diazona

Homework Helper

Given that you're adding a power of x to a trigonometric function of x in the denominator, I doubt it would be doable. You could of course do a series expansion around some point and integrate each term in the series individually, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to find a closed-form expression for all the series coefficients.

7. Dec 20, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What was the entire statement of the problem? Was it an indefinite integral as you show or a definite integral?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook