Multiplying Cosines: Learn How to Represent x(t)

• Thread starter SMOF
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about understanding how cos(ω1t) times cos(ω2t) can be represented as x(t) 1/2 (cos(ω2 - ω1)t) + 1/2 (cos(ω2 + ω1)t). The solution is found using the Product to Sum Identity, where cos(A+B) = cosA cosB - sinA sinB and cos(A-B) = cosA cosB + sinA sinB. By adding these two cosine sums, the sinAsinB component is eliminated, leaving 2(cosAcosB). This can then be simplified by dividing by 2 or multiplying by a half. The conversation ends with a thank you
SMOF
Hello,

I hope everyone is well.

Also, I hope someone can help me understand something. I am trying to understand how cos(ω1t) times cos(ω2t) can be represented as

x(t) 1/2 (cos(ω2 - ω1)t) + 1/2 (cos(ω2 + ω1)t)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Seán

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expanding cos(A+B) and cos(A-B) :wink:

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

So, cos(A+B) = cosA cosB - sinA sinB, and cos(A-B) = cosA cosB + sinA sinB.

But I don't see how this gets me to the solution I need, since it doesn't have a sin component.

But maybe I am just being stupid here.

Seán

Oh, I may have got it with the Product to Sum Identity.

Seán

Sorry about the late reply, I am on holidays.
Ok notice that the cos(A+B) has a sinAsinB component and cos(A-B) has a -sinAsinB component, so why not add these two cosines sums to get rid of the sinAsinB?

Hello.

That will just leave me with 2(cosAcosB) ...yea?

Seán

SMOF said:
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

So, cos(A+B) = cosA cosB - sinA sinB, and cos(A-B) = cosA cosB + sinA sinB.

But I don't see how this gets me to the solution I need, since it doesn't have a sin component.

But maybe I am just being stupid here.

Seán
So add them!

SMOF said:
Hello.

That will just leave me with 2(cosAcosB) ...yea?

Seán

Right, and you want cosAcosB, so...

Hello.

Yea, so, I divide by 2 ...or, multiply by a half ...I think I have it from here.

Many thanks for your help :)

Seán

SMOF said:
Hello.

Yea, so, I divide by 2 ...or, multiply by a half ...I think I have it from here.

Many thanks for your help :)

Seán

Yep that's it :smile:

You're welcome, and good luck with your physics!

What is the purpose of representing x(t) using cosine functions?

The purpose of representing x(t) using cosine functions is to analyze and understand the behavior of a periodic signal over time. It allows us to break down a complex signal into simpler components, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

How do I multiply cosine functions?

To multiply cosine functions, you can use the trigonometric identity cos(a)cos(b) = (1/2)[cos(a-b) + cos(a+b)]. This allows you to simplify the product of two cosine functions into a sum of two cosine functions with different arguments.

Can I use any values for a and b when multiplying cosine functions?

Yes, you can use any real numbers for a and b when multiplying cosine functions. However, if you want to represent a real-world signal, the values of a and b should be chosen carefully to accurately reflect the signal's behavior.

Are there any other ways to represent x(t) besides using cosine functions?

Yes, there are other ways to represent x(t) such as using sine functions, complex exponential functions, or even a combination of different trigonometric functions. The choice of representation depends on the specific signal and the analysis being performed.

What is the advantage of using cosine functions to represent x(t)?

The advantage of using cosine functions to represent x(t) is that they have a simple and intuitive relationship with the unit circle, making it easier to visualize and understand the behavior of the signal. They also have many useful properties and identities that can be used to simplify calculations and analysis.