Why do negative numbers behave differently when multiplied?

• Thread starter dfollett76
  • Start date
In summary, the rules for multiplying signed numbers, such as (-)*(-)= (+), (-)*(+)=(-), etc., can be illustrated through real world examples such as modulation, where the sign convention represents reality in the process of shifting a waveform. Additionally, the concept of non-linear phenomena can also be used to explain the rules, as seen in the proof that (-1) * (-1) = 1. A possible "real world" example for students is the idea of a "signed distance", where a negative distance in one direction is equivalent to a positive distance in the opposite direction.
dfollett76
I'm looking for a good/simple explanation for why the rules for multiplying signed numbers are the way they are.

i.e. why does (-)*(-)= (+); (-)*(+)=(-); etc.

Also, I'm looking for some good real world examples to where these situations apply.

Thanks for you help.

Physics news on Phys.org
One good real world example is modulation. Modulation is multiplying two signals together for some purpose, like shifting a data waveform up to RF waveform frequencies for transmission.

So the modulated waveform looks like M(t) = A sin(w1 * t) * B sin(w2 * t)

Draw out the waveforms and see how the sign convention represents reality in the modulation process. Does that help?

Sorry, but not really.

I should clarify. I'm looking for an example that I can share with my 9th grade students. :smile:

dfollett76 said:
Sorry, but not really.

I should clarify. I'm looking for an example that I can share with my 9th grade students. :smile:
Doh! :rofl: Well, bright 9th graders would probably understand modulation -- just make some pretty slides up with colored sine waves...

Multiplication is a non-linear process, so your examples are going to have to involve non-linear phenomena (like modulation). Let's see, what else is an example of non-linear stuff...

Boy, that's a toughie. I'd stick with modulation and try to introduce it gently to them. :blushing:

0 * (-1) = 0
(1 + (-1)) * (-1) = 0
1 * (-1) + (-1) * (-1) = 0
(-1) + (-1) * (-1) = 0
1 + ((-1) + (-1) * (-1)) = 0 + 1
(1 + (-1)) + (-1) * (-1) = 1
0 + (-1) * (-1) = 1
(-1) * (-1) = 1

There's a proof in excruciating detail. :smile: Well, it takes a little bit more to prove (-1) * x = (-x), but this might be enough for them.

You might be able to concoct a "real world" example from the notion of a "signed distance". I.e. that (-3) meters to the right is the same thing as (+3) meters to the left.

1. What does it mean to multiply two negative numbers?

Multiplying two negative numbers means to find the product of two numbers with negative signs. The result will always be a positive number.

2. How do you multiply signed negatives?

To multiply signed negatives, you multiply the absolute values of the numbers and then add a negative sign to the result if the signs of the numbers are different. If the signs are the same, the result will be positive.

3. What is the rule for multiplying signed negatives?

The rule for multiplying signed negatives is that if the signs of the numbers are the same, the result will be positive. If the signs are different, the result will be negative.

4. Can you explain the concept of "double negatives" when multiplying?

Double negatives occur when you multiply two negative numbers together. For example, -2 times -3 would result in a double negative of -6. This is because when you multiply two negative numbers, the product will always be positive.

5. How can I check my answer when multiplying signed negatives?

You can check your answer by multiplying the absolute values of the numbers and then adding a negative sign to the result if the signs of the numbers are different. If the signs are the same, the result should be positive. You can also use a calculator to check your answer.