1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying signed negatives

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1
    I'm looking for a good/simple explanation for why the rules for multiplying signed numbers are the way they are.

i.e. why does (-)*(-)= (+); (-)*(+)=(-); etc.

Also, I'm looking for some good real world examples to where these situations apply.

Thanks for you help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

One good real world example is modulation. Modulation is multiplying two signals together for some purpose, like shifting a data waveform up to RF waveform frequencies for transmission.

So the modulated waveform looks like M(t) = A sin(w1 * t) * B sin(w2 * t)

Draw out the waveforms and see how the sign convention represents reality in the modulation process. Does that help?

4. Aug 31, 2006 #3
    Sorry, but not really.

I should clarify. I'm looking for an example that I can share with my 9th grade students. :smile:

5. Aug 31, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Doh! :rofl: Well, bright 9th graders would probably understand modulation -- just make some pretty slides up with colored sine waves...

Multiplication is a non-linear process, so your examples are going to have to involve non-linear phenomena (like modulation). Let's see, what else is an example of non-linear stuff....

Boy, that's a toughie. I'd stick with modulation and try to introduce it gently to them. :blushing:

6. Aug 31, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

0 * (-1) = 0
    (1 + (-1)) * (-1) = 0
    1 * (-1) + (-1) * (-1) = 0
    (-1) + (-1) * (-1) = 0
    1 + ((-1) + (-1) * (-1)) = 0 + 1
    (1 + (-1)) + (-1) * (-1) = 1
    0 + (-1) * (-1) = 1
    (-1) * (-1) = 1

There's a proof in excruciating detail. :smile: Well, it takes a little bit more to prove (-1) * x = (-x), but this might be enough for them.

7. Aug 31, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might be able to concoct a "real world" example from the notion of a "signed distance". I.e. that (-3) meters to the right is the same thing as (+3) meters to the left.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?