MultiQuote Failure: Forum Topic Across 2 Pages

• Bug
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers a topic in a forum where multiquote is failing to work properly on multiple forum pages. The feature works on an Android phone using the Chrome browser, but not on a desktop. There were attempts to resolve the issue, including a screen video and changing media, but it was still not working. Some users suggested using the Reply feature instead, but this was seen as a clunky solution. There was also confusion over the definition of "multiquote" and suggestions to post a screen video for clarity.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
A topic in a forum covering two forum pages will fail to allow multiquote from more than one of the pages.

Physics news on Phys.org
On my android phone Chrome browser, it works properly. In a single thread, I can easily quote messages from multiple pages and put them in together. I have made a screen video and will post it as soon as it's uploaded to YouTube.

Update: the screen video is below:-

Edit: Changed media.

Last edited:
Likes YoungPhysicist
Poor video, post #2. Actions taken poorly resolved. Use of the multiquote buttons not visible. No such Insert Quote button found in the compose field of forum.

I believe I have now resolved a user-mistake. Not sure. Use of Multiquote button then requires the use of the Reply button, for posts in either pages of the thread.

WRONG! I just tried again and Multiquote from different pages of a thread still fails.

Last edited:
Works for me. What exactly do you do and what exactly is the result you get?

Click on "+Quote" on a post on one page, then go to a different page, click on "+Quote" on another post. Then click on "insert quotes" on the lower left. You can even quote across threads that way.

All this needs JavaScript enabled, but that is true even if you don't change pages.

symbolipoint said:
Poor video, post #2. Actions taken poorly resolved. Use of the multiquote buttons not visible. No such Insert Quote button found in the compose field of forum.
I have changed the media. Hope it's better this time. At the end, you will find four quoted messages, three from first page and one from the next.

I gave up on the "Quote" "Multi-Quote" feature a while back, but maybe it works better now. I just use the Reply feature, and if I need to include quoted things from multiple pages, I use Reply to the stuff on one page, cut it into the clipboard, go to the next page and paste it in at the bottom of the page in the Reply window, and keep on Reply/quoting the stuff on the 2nd page. A little clunky, but works every time for me.

Likes symbolipoint and Wrichik Basu
symbolipoint said:
A topic in a forum covering two forum pages will fail to allow multiquote from more than one of the pages.
Odd; I can report an opposite problem: How to flush unwanted quotes.
Suppose I +quote a few lines from posts in thread A, decide not to use it and move on to thread B where I want to +quote different posts. How do I clear the "quote buffer"?
  1. log out;log back in.
  2. insert holdover quotes in reply buffer than erase.
  3. use reply key for first quote in thread B.
Solutions 1 & 2 are cumbersome, while 2 is also tedious. Three works as reply first flushes or overwrites the buffer but leads to @berkeman 's fix:
berkeman said:
I gave up on the "Quote" "Multi-Quote" feature a while back, but maybe it works better now. I just use the Reply feature, and if I need to include quoted things from multiple pages, I use Reply to the stuff on one page, cut it into the clipboard, go to the next page and paste it in at the bottom of the page in the Reply window, and keep on Reply/quoting the stuff on the 2nd page. A little clunky, but works every time for me.

Klystron said:
Suppose I +quote a few lines from posts in thread A, decide not to use it and move on to thread B where I want to +quote different posts. How do I clear the "quote buffer"?
I think you can go back and click the Quote link again to reset it (the little plus sign comes back, like +Quote)

But like I said, I gave up using Quote a long time ago, so maybe that's not how it works now. o0)

Klystron said:
Odd; I can report an opposite problem: How to flush unwanted quotes.
Just click on "Insert Quotes" near the reply box. You will see an option to remove quoted messages. It will be in blue:

Screenshot_20190120-001446.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190120-001446.png
    Screenshot_20190120-001446.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 425
Likes Klystron
Works fine for me. I grabbed quotes from 3 diff pages of a many many page thread and it worked just fine. I didn't do the final posting step but you can see that they multi quotes are there in the created reply. I've sped up the time so that the video is only 30 seconds.

mfb said:
Works for me. What exactly do you do and what exactly is the result you get?

Click on "+Quote" on a post on one page, then go to a different page, click on "+Quote" on another post. Then click on "insert quotes" on the lower left. You can even quote across threads that way.

All this needs JavaScript enabled, but that is true even if you don't change pages.
All that is a very different process. I will have to try it (later).

phinds,
Your video of post #11 did not finish so I cannot see the rest of the process.

symbolipoint said:
phinds,
Your video of post #11 did not finish so I cannot see the rest of the process.
Do you mean what I stated?
I didn't do the final posting step ...

symbolipoint said:
All that is a very different process.
No, that is the multi-quote feature.
If you talk about something else, see above: What exactly do you do, what result do you expect and what do you get?

@symbolipoint There seems to be some confusion regarding which feature you are calling "multiquote". @phinds, @mfb and I have tried to convey the same thing, which you term:
symbolipoint said:
a very different process.
Why don't you post a screen video showing what you are trying to do? That will remove any confusion.

( I am going to try to put in these few consecutive screen shots, might itself be difficult to figure how...)
( No. Not now. I need to use a URL for this instead of just giving them from the local computer here. I will describe the process of try to multiquote without first showing any images.)

Taking for example, The coming revolution in physics education,
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-coming-revolution-in-physics-education.954664/

Several forum pages hold the topic's discussion.
Let me try to multiquote posts #2, #21, and #42
which are respectively on page 1, page 2, and page 3.

METHOD:
  1. Page 1, clicked in post #2, Multiquote button; then clicked Reply
  2. Page 2, in post #21, clicked Reply
  3. Page 3, in post #42, clicked Reply

RESULT:
All THREE posts are shown quoted displayed in the composition field.

I do not know why I was seeing failures before. I will just need to keep reviewing this and checking what happens in future multiquote attempts.
The topic is not yet resolved for me until I no longer find failures in my multiquote attempts.

symbolipoint said:
METHOD:
That's not the correct method.

Step 1: Either click "+ Quote" at the bottom right of the 1st message you want to quote
upload_2019-1-20_17-40-28.png

Or select some text and click "+ Quote" below
upload_2019-1-20_17-44-7.png

Step 2: Repeat step 1 for each message you want to quote.

Step 3: Go to the text box at the bottom of the thread and press the "INSERT QUOTES..." button in the bottom left corner
upload_2019-1-20_17-50-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-20_17-40-28.png
    upload_2019-1-20_17-40-28.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 421
  • upload_2019-1-20_17-44-7.png
    upload_2019-1-20_17-44-7.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 409
  • upload_2019-1-20_17-50-48.png
    upload_2019-1-20_17-50-48.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 404
Likes Wrichik Basu
symbolipoint said:
Taking for example, The coming revolution in physics education,
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-coming-revolution-in-physics-education.954664/

Several forum pages hold the topic's discussion.
Let me try to multiquote posts #2, #21, and #42
which are respectively on page 1, page 2, and page 3.

METHOD:

RESULT:
All THREE posts are shown quoted displayed in the composition field.

I do not know why I was seeing failures before. I will just need to keep reviewing this and checking what happens in future multiquote attempts.
The topic is not yet resolved for me until I no longer find failures in my multiquote attempts.
As @DrGreg has said above, you were not using the multiquote feature at all. When you clicked on the "Reply" option, the message was quoted in the Reply box, and given some time, the server automatically saved the draft. Previously, when you were doing the same, you were not giving enough time for the server to save the draft, and that is why you were unable to see the message when you moved on to a different page.

You may follow what @DrGreg has said, or you can continue your process, but just remember to manually save the draft before you move on to the next page. Just click on the save option:

Screenshot_20190121-011751.png

and you will see an option to save the draft:

Screenshot_20190121-012159.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190121-011751.png
    Screenshot_20190121-011751.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Screenshot_20190121-012159.png
    Screenshot_20190121-012159.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 383
Likes Klystron and mfb
DrGreg said:
That's not the correct method.
It's not the "multi-quote" feature, but it is an alternative method.
symbolipoint said:
As @Wrichik Basu noted, it is a question of the draft of your reply being saved or not. There is an automatic save, so it is a question of the time between when you hit reply and when you go to the next page. If the automatic save doesn't have time to quick in, then when you click "next page" the reply box will be empty.

Likes Wrichik Basu
DrClaude said:
There is an automatic save

upload_2019-1-21_23-39-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-21_23-39-32.png
    upload_2019-1-21_23-39-32.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 389
Likes Wrichik Basu
upload_2019-1-22_0-10-55.png

:oldbiggrin: ...

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-22_0-10-55.png
    upload_2019-1-22_0-10-55.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 350
Likes Wrichik Basu
The topic "Got my BS in Physics but I don't know what to apply for", https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-what-to-apply-for.963457/page-2#post-6122105
post #38, although the topic itself is still ONE single page;
Multiquote was used.
I believe some of the advice her is helping.

Method was:
  1. highlight desired text, click the item MultiQuote
  2. highlight another desired text, click the item MultiQuote
  3. Scroll to the composition field, find the button, Insert Quotations, and click the Post button

So far this appears successful.

Likes OCR
Post #21 and #21
How did you do that? Attachments?

symbolipoint said:
Post #21 and #21 22
How did you do that? Attachments?

Yeah... screen shots using the Snipping Tool.

1. What is a MultiQuote Failure?

A MultiQuote Failure occurs when a forum topic spans across two pages and the MultiQuote feature is unable to properly quote multiple posts from both pages. This can happen due to technical issues or limitations of the forum software.

2. How does MultiQuote Failure impact forum discussions?

MultiQuote Failure can make it difficult for forum users to properly quote and respond to posts, leading to confusion and disruption in the flow of the discussion. It can also make it challenging for moderators to moderate the discussion and keep track of the conversation.

3. Can MultiQuote Failure be fixed?

In most cases, MultiQuote Failure can be fixed by updating the forum software or by implementing a workaround. However, if the issue is caused by technical limitations, it may not be possible to completely resolve the problem.

4. How can forum users avoid MultiQuote Failure?

Forum users can avoid MultiQuote Failure by manually quoting each post they want to respond to, instead of relying on the MultiQuote feature. They can also try to keep the discussion on one page by limiting the number of posts per page or by using shorter posts.

5. Is MultiQuote Failure a common issue?

MultiQuote Failure is a relatively common issue in forums, especially when the topic spans across multiple pages or when the forum software is outdated. However, with regular software updates and proper forum management, it can be minimized and resolved.