Multiterm Taylor expansion

Therefore, at ##x=\alpha##, the second derivative is $$\frac d{dx}\left(x(1+x^2)^\frac12\right)|_{x=\alpha} = \frac\alpha{\sqrt{1+\alpha^2}}$$The third derivative is $$\frac d{dx}\left(\frac\alpha{\sqrt{1+x^2}}\right) = -\frac{\alpha x}{(1+x^2)^\frac32}$$Therefore, at ##x=\alpha##, the third derivative is $$\frac d{dx}\left(\frac\alpha{\sqrt{1+x^2}}\right)|_{x=\alpha} = -\
knockout_artist
So in the book it says expend function ƒ in ε to get following.

ƒ=√ (1 + (α + βε)2) = √ (1 + α2) + (αβε)/√ (1 + α2) + (β2ε2)/2 (1 + α2)3/2 + O(e3)

When I expend I get(keeping ε = 0)
ƒ(0) = √ (1 + α2) -->first term
ƒ'(0) = (αβ)/√ (1 + α2) --> sec term with gets multiplied by ε

for third term
I used
d/de (αβ + εβ2 ) * √ (1 + (α + βε)2) + d/de √ (1 + (α + βε)2) * (αβ + εβ2)at most I got

ƒ''(0) = β2 / √ (1 + (α + βε)2) + -1/2 (α + βε) β(αβ + εβ2) /3√ (1 + ( α + βε)2)

= β2 / √ (1 + (α )2) + -1/2 (α + β0) β(αβ + 0β2) /3√ (1 + α 2)

Why I am not getting the term as in the book which is
2ε2)/2 (1 + α2)3/2

Physics news on Phys.org
The error is in the differentiation to get the third term.

The function being expanded is
$$f(x)=\sqrt{1+x^2}$$
and it is being expanded at ##x=\alpha##.

The first derivative is correct:
$$\frac d{dx}\sqrt{1+x^2} = x(1+x^2)^\frac12$$

The second derivative is
$$\frac d{dx}\left(x(1+x^2)^\frac12\right) = (1+x^2)^{-\frac12} - x^2(1+x^2)^{-\frac32}$$

Likes knockout_artist

1. What is a multiterm Taylor expansion?

A multiterm Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a polynomial. It involves expanding the function at a specific point and taking into account its derivatives at that point.

2. How is a multiterm Taylor expansion different from a regular Taylor expansion?

A multiterm Taylor expansion includes more terms in the polynomial than a regular Taylor expansion, making it a more accurate approximation of the original function. It also allows for approximation at multiple points rather than just one.

3. What is the purpose of a multiterm Taylor expansion?

The purpose of a multiterm Taylor expansion is to approximate a complicated function with a simpler polynomial function. This can be useful in applications where precise calculations are needed but the function is too complex to work with directly.

4. How is a multiterm Taylor expansion calculated?

A multiterm Taylor expansion is calculated by taking the derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the polynomial equation. The higher the number of terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. In what fields is multiterm Taylor expansion commonly used?

Multiterm Taylor expansion is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also frequently used in numerical analysis and in computer algorithms for solving mathematical problems.