(Multivariable Calc) Given four points, find a sphere.help me.

In summary, to find the radius and center of a sphere determined by four points, we can use the equation (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 + (z-l)^2 - r^2 = 0 and substitute the coordinates of the four points to get four equations. Then, using row reduction, we can solve for the values of h, k, l, and r. The determinant formula can also be used, but it may require more advanced mathematical knowledge.
Vampire

Homework Statement

Find the radius and center for the sphere determined by the four points
(3,2,-1), (5,-2,1), (-3,1,2), (0,2,4).
Give the exact location of the center but approximate the radius to the nearest 0.1.

Homework Equations

Equation of a sphere: x2 + y2 + z2 + Gx +Hy +Iz +J = 0
or C(h,k,l) (x-h)2 + (y-k)2 + (z-l)2 - r2 = 0

There's also a 5x5 matrix with the determinant equal to zero, but I have no idea how to use it (seen at line 29 here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sphere.html). I believe this is beyond 12.1 in multivariable calculus.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the determinant formula, but I got lost as I don't even know how to use it.

Is there any other way?

EDIT: Solved. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(x-h)2 + (y-k)2 + (z-l)2 - r2 = 0

Using this, I'd just substitute the 4 coordinates to get me 4 equations with 4 unknowns in them. Then just use row reduction to get h,k,l and r

So I can substitute, then treat the different lines as a system of equations?

Vampire said:
So I can substitute, then treat the different lines as a system of equations?

well your variables would be h2,k2,l2,r2 and not h,k,l,r like I previously said.

Alright I will try that. Thank you very much.

Related to (Multivariable Calc) Given four points, find a sphere.help me.

1. How do I find the equation of a sphere given four points?

To find the equation of a sphere, you will need to use the formula (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 + (z - l)^2 = r^2, where (h, k, l) is the center of the sphere and r is the radius. You can use the given four points to solve for the center and radius using a system of equations.

2. Can I use any four points to find the equation of a sphere?

No, the four points must be non-collinear, meaning they cannot all lie on the same line. This ensures that the points determine a unique sphere.

3. What if I only have three points, can I still find the equation of a sphere?

No, three points do not determine a unique sphere. You will need at least four points to find the equation of a sphere.

4. Are there any other methods to find the equation of a sphere given four points?

Yes, you can also use the method of least squares to find the equation of a sphere that best fits the given four points. This method involves minimizing the sum of the squared distances between the points and the sphere.

5. Can the equation of a sphere be found if the points are in 3D space?

Yes, the formula for a sphere can be extended to three-dimensional space, where the equation becomes (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 + (z - l)^2 = r^2. As long as the given points are non-collinear, you can find the equation of a sphere in 3D space.