Multivariable Calculus Maple Help

In summary: Pi, axes = boxed, color = black);> l := length(spacecurve(r));> c := length(spacecurve(r'));> K := sqrt(l*c);The curvature function of this space curve is constructed via the following formula: 1. Let r(t) = (cost, sint). Graph in maple r(t) for 0<t<2п.2. Write in maple, in vector form r’(t) and r’
Mbruinsma
1. I am working on an assignment in maple for my Calc 3 class. It seems really simple, but I have no experience using Maple. Any help would be very much appreciated.

PART 1: 3D – VECTORS IN MAPLE
1. Let u= i + 2j. Define a vector v. Draw the two vectors in a Maple graph.
2. Use Maple to compute the dot product of u and v.
3. Use Maple to compute the length of both vectors without using a formula that involves the vector components.
4. Using 2 and 3, write a formula for computing the angle between u and v.
5. Use the formula to compute the angle in radians, and also in degrees.
6. Find a vector w that is perpendicular to v. Use Maple to prove that w and v are perpendicular.
7. Graph both vectors in Maple to visualize that the angle between them is a right angle.

I started by setting u:=([1,2]). I then made a vector v:=([2,1]) (Does it matter what vector I use? I just chose 2i+j) How can I graph this and how do I do the dot product?

Thanks for Any help you can give me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mbruinsma said:
1. I am working on an assignment in maple for my Calc 3 class. It seems really simple, but I have no experience using Maple. Any help would be very much appreciated.

PART 1: 3D – VECTORS IN MAPLE
1. Let u= i + 2j. Define a vector v. Draw the two vectors in a Maple graph.
2. Use Maple to compute the dot product of u and v.
3. Use Maple to compute the length of both vectors without using a formula that involves the vector components.
4. Using 2 and 3, write a formula for computing the angle between u and v.
5. Use the formula to compute the angle in radians, and also in degrees.
6. Find a vector w that is perpendicular to v. Use Maple to prove that w and v are perpendicular.
7. Graph both vectors in Maple to visualize that the angle between them is a right angle.

I started by setting u:=([1,2]). I then made a vector v:=([2,1]) (Does it matter what vector I use? I just chose 2i+j) How can I graph this and how do I do the dot product?

Thanks for Any help you can give me!

Unfortunately for you, it depends on what version of Maple you are using. Here are some steps that work in Maple 13, which may or may not help you. You might have to refer to your class lessons :yuck:

> with(VectorCalculus); BasisFormat(false);
> u := <1|2>;
v := `<3|5>;
> v.u;
> Norm(u, 2);
> PlotVector(u, scaling = constrained);
>

Thank you so much for your help LCKurtz. I am using Maple 13.

Last edited:
This is the next part. If anyone can give me any tips on getting started, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

PART 2: CURVATURE OF THE GRAPH OF A VECTOR VALUED FUNCTIONS
The curvature function of this space curve is constructed via the following formula:

1. Let r(t) = (cost, sint). Graph in maple r(t) for 0<t<2п.
2. Write in maple, in vector form r’(t) and r’’(t).
3. Using Maple to compute the cross product of r’(t) and r’’(t)
4. Using Maple to compute the length of the vector resulting from 2.
5. Using maple compute the length of r’(t) and the cube it.
6. Compute the funtion K(t). You should not find this result surprising, why?
7. Use the observation in 5. to decide what should the curvature of a circle with radius r is.
8. Repeat all the process from 1 to 7 to find the curvature function of a given ellipsis. Compare the curvature function of an ellipses with the curvature funtion of a circle.
9. Repeat all the process from 1 to 7 to find the curvature function of a 3D vector valued funtion. Be creative or choose any vector valued function given in the textbook.I can't seem to graph r(t). I don't know why.

Last edited:
For cross products, you will need 3D vectors:

> with(plots):
> r := <cos(t)|sin(t)|0>;
> spacecurve(r, t = 0 .. 2*Pi, axes = boxed, color = black);

What is Multivariable Calculus Maple Help?

Multivariable Calculus Maple Help is a software program designed to assist students and professionals in solving problems related to multivariable calculus. It uses the Maple programming language to perform computations and provide step-by-step solutions.

How does Multivariable Calculus Maple Help work?

Multivariable Calculus Maple Help works by taking user input, such as equations and variables, and using Maple's algorithms to perform calculations and generate solutions. It also allows users to customize their computations by specifying variables, ranges, and other parameters.

Is Multivariable Calculus Maple Help user-friendly?

Multivariable Calculus Maple Help is designed to be user-friendly, with a simple and intuitive interface. It also provides helpful features such as error checking and interactive graphs to assist users in solving problems.

Can Multivariable Calculus Maple Help be used for advanced calculus problems?

Yes, Multivariable Calculus Maple Help can handle complex and advanced calculus problems, including vector calculus, partial derivatives, and multiple integrals. It is a powerful tool for students and professionals in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics.

How can I get Multivariable Calculus Maple Help?

Multivariable Calculus Maple Help can be purchased or downloaded from the MapleSoft website, or it may be available for use at your educational institution. It is also possible to find tutorials and resources online to help you get started with the program.