Multivariable calculus: Maximization of volume of box with constraint

In summary, the maximum possible volume of a rectangular box inscribed in a hemisphere of radius R is 4xyz.
mirajshah

Homework Statement

What is the maximum possible volume of a rectangular box inscribed in a hemisphere of radius R? Assume that one face of the box lies in the planar base of the hemisphere.

NOTE: For this problem, we're not allowed to use Lagrange multipliers, since we technically haven't learned them yet. I know this is a pain, but please help me out!

Homework Equations

[tex] Volume\, of\, hemisphere\, = \frac{2}{3}R^{3}
\\ Volume\, of\, rectangular\, box=xyz [/tex]
(assuming width x, length y, height z)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've written on my sheet so far:
Assume x,yz is the intersection point of the top vertex of the box with the curved surface of the hemisphere in quadrant I.
[tex] \Rightarrow\text{Dimensions of box}=2x\times2y\times z
\\ \Rightarrow\text{Volume of box}=4xyz [/tex]
If hemisphere has radius R,
[tex] R=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}
\\ \Rightarrow R^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2} [/tex]
where R is constant for the purposes of maximization.

Therefore, maximize [itex] f\left(x,y,z\right)=4xyz [/itex] with constraint [itex]R^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}[/itex]

[tex] f_{x}=4yz
\\ f_{y}=4xz
\\ f_{z}=4xy
\\ f_{x}=f_{y}=f_{z}=0
\\ \Rightarrow x=y=z=0 [/tex]
Since this constitutes a non-existant box, the interior critical point is not the global maximum. We must find critical points on the boundary.

Here is where I'm stuck :confused:. How do you find critical points on this kind of boundary function? Do you convert to polar coordinates? Obviously the coordinates are going to be in terms of R, but how do you eliminate x,y,z from the equations describing the coordinates?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why 4xyz? Since each edge has length twice the corresponding coordinate, shouldn't the volume be 8xyz?

Also, what you have done completely ignores the constraint. Since, allowing x, y, and z to be any numbers, the box can have arbitrarily large volume what you found was the only extremum, the minimum possible volume.

Since you are not allowed to use Lagrange multipliers, the best thing to do is to use the constraint to get, say, [itex]z= \sqrt{R^2- x^2- y^2}[/itex] and put that into the formula for volume of the box: [itex]V= 8xyz= 8xy(R^2- x^2- y^2)^{1/2}[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to x and y and set the derivatives equal to 0.

HallsofIvy, you're completely correct in that I ignored the constraint. My main problem was I had a mental gap in figuring out how to integrate the extremum into the equation. Thanks for the help though, now I've got my answer!

Also, note that the question states that the box is contained within a "hemisphere". Since we are assuming that the box is centered at the origin, and the hemisphere is radiated outwards from the origin, we can safely assume that 2 dimensions will have twice the length of their radial components (going "horizontally across" the dome). However the third dimension of the box extends only to the base of the hemisphere (goes "vertically up" the dome). If the third dimension of the box was also twice the length of its radial component, the box would be contained within a sphere, not a hemisphere.

I appreciate the response though! :smile:

What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables, such as vectors and matrices. It involves differentiating and integrating functions with multiple variables, and is used to solve problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

What is the maximization of volume of a box with constraint?

The maximization of volume of a box with constraint is a problem in multivariable calculus where the goal is to find the dimensions of a box with the maximum volume possible, given a certain constraint. The constraint could be the amount of material available to make the box, or a specific volume requirement.

How is multivariable calculus used to solve this problem?

Multivariable calculus is used to solve this problem by finding the critical points of the volume function, which represent potential maximum values. These points are found by taking partial derivatives with respect to each variable and setting them equal to zero. The maximum volume is then determined by evaluating the function at these critical points and comparing the results.

What are some real-world applications of this problem?

The maximization of volume of a box with constraint has many real-world applications, including optimizing the size of packaging for products, maximizing storage space in warehouses, and designing efficient transportation containers. It can also be used in engineering and architecture for designing structures with maximum volume and minimum material usage.

Are there any other types of optimization problems in multivariable calculus?

Yes, there are many other types of optimization problems in multivariable calculus, including minimization problems, constrained optimization problems, and problems with multiple constraints. These types of problems can have various real-world applications and are important tools in many fields of study.