Which Math Book Should I Get for Multivariable Calculus?

In summary, the individual is reading baby Rudin and wants to learn multi-variable calculus before studying the analysis in Rudin's chapters 9-11. They are considering getting either a 'Mathematical methods for...' book or 'Calculus vol.2' by Apostol. However, another person recommends Lang's Calculus of Several Variables or Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms as alternatives. They also mention that Rudin's treatment of measure theory and Lebesgue integration in chapters 10 and 11 may not be the best and suggest looking into other books such as Bartle's The Elements of Integration and Lebesgue Measure. Finally, they advise skipping chapters 9-11 of Rudin altogether and
GeneralOJB
I am currently reading baby Rudin, but I only know single-variable calculus at the moment, so I think it would be a good idea to learn the multi-variable stuff non-rigorously before I do the analysis in Rudin (chapters 9-11).

So I was thinking of either getting one of the many 'Mathematical methods for...' books or 'Calculus vol.2' by Apostol. Which would be better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not a cheap book like the following one? I'm thinking, why not finish with the single-variable topics first, get them done and out the way, then learn the multivariable material rigorously from the start? I mean, you're learning analysis so you might as well put it to use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486457958/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was planning on doing that, I thought it might be quite difficult to learn it straight from Rudin though. I'll see how it goes.

GeneralOJB said:
I am currently reading baby Rudin, but I only know single-variable calculus at the moment, so I think it would be a good idea to learn the multi-variable stuff non-rigorously before I do the analysis in Rudin (chapters 9-11).

So I was thinking of either getting one of the many 'Mathematical methods for...' books or 'Calculus vol.2' by Apostol. Which would be better?
Apostol is pretty rigorous and it will take you quite a while to hack your way through. If you want a less rigorous but really excellent introduction, get Lang's Calculus of Several Variables.

Neither Apostol nor Lang does differential forms, though, and Rudin would be a horrible place to learn this (or any of the material in chapters 9-11, for that matter). An alternative would be Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach, which I have not read but which has a very good reputation. Personally I don't see the point of trying to learn differential forms without having learned the "classical" treatment as in Lang, but that's just my preference.

If I recall correctly, Rudin does measure theory and Lebesgue integration in chapter 10 and/or 11. None of the above books will help you with this, and I would NOT advise learning it from Rudin. Almost any other book covering this material will be a better choice. A nice efficient (but expensive) choice would be Bartle's The Elements of Integration and Lebesgue Measure.

I'd skip chapters 9-11 of Rudin. The materials are better treated elsewhere.

You'll need vol 1 and vol 2 of Apostol for complete treatment of multivariable calculus.

What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of multiple variables and their derivatives and integrals. It is used to solve problems involving multiple dimensions and is essential for fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the key topics covered in a multivariable calculus book?

The key topics covered in a multivariable calculus book include vectors and vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and applications of these concepts to real-world problems.

What factors should I consider when choosing a multivariable calculus book?

When choosing a multivariable calculus book, you should consider the level of difficulty, the amount and depth of examples and exercises, the clarity of explanations and proofs, and the relevance of the topics covered to your specific needs.

What are some recommended multivariable calculus books for beginners?

Some recommended multivariable calculus books for beginners include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Multivariable Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards, and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.

Are there any online resources or interactive tools available for learning multivariable calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources and interactive tools available for learning multivariable calculus. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Wolfram Alpha. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive demonstrations to aid in understanding the concepts of multivariable calculus.