Multivariable change of variable.

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a proof for the multivariate case, where it is shown that if X follows a normal distribution with mean U and covariance matrix S, and Y is a linear combination of X with a constant and an invertible matrix C, then Y also follows a normal distribution. The participants are trying to apply this proof to a similar problem where X is replaced with multiple independent normal variables and Y is a linear combination of them. They discuss the use of the change of variable formula and note that the first theorem can be seen as a special case of the second.
Kuma
Hi there.

In the multivariate case it is proven that if

X~Nm(U, S) and Y = a + CX where C is an invertible n x n matrix, and S is the covariance matrix then:

Y ~ Nm(a + CU, CSC')

I am trying to apply this proof to a similar problem.

If we have X1...Xk with Xi ~ Nm(Ui, Si) where i = 1...k, with Xi independent.

what is the distribution of Y = a + sigma (i=1 to k) CiXi

I'm trying to apply the change of variable formula here to derive this, but I don't know how to use it for a function of several variables. In the proof with only X I can understand it.

Here Y = a + (C1X1 + C2X2 + C3X3 + ... + CkXk)

Physics news on Phys.org
That does not look like a generalization, it looks like a special case of your first statement. The "C" in your first theorem is just the matrix with a single row, [itex]\begin{bmatrix} C_1 & C_2 & \cdot\cdot\cdot & C_k\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

1. What is a multivariable change of variable?

A multivariable change of variable is a mathematical technique used to simplify the integration of functions with multiple variables. It involves substituting new variables in place of the original ones to transform the integral into a simpler form.

2. Why is multivariable change of variable important?

Multivariable change of variable is important because it allows us to solve difficult integrals and evaluate functions in a more efficient way. It also helps us understand the relationships between different variables in a function.

3. What are the steps involved in a multivariable change of variable?

The first step is to identify which variables are involved in the function and determine the limits of integration. Then, choose appropriate substitution variables and calculate the Jacobian determinant. Finally, rewrite the integral in terms of the new variables and solve it.

4. Can multivariable change of variable be used for any type of function?

No, multivariable change of variable can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable in the given domain. It also requires the Jacobian determinant to be non-zero in order for the substitution to be valid.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using multivariable change of variable?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include choosing inappropriate substitution variables, making errors in calculating the Jacobian determinant, and not properly transforming the limits of integration. It is important to double check all steps and calculations to ensure the correctness of the solution.