Multivariable Integration / Nonlinear Differentials

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the equation dv/dt = (k+v2)/h, where k is a constant and v and h are variables. The attempt at a solution involves integrating the left side, but there is uncertainty about how to handle the right side. It is suggested to treat h as a constant, resulting in a family of solutions depending on the parameter h. The question of whether h depends on t or vice-versa is also raised.
MrMumbleX

Homework Statement

dv/dt = (k+v2)/h

Homework Equations

k is a constant, and v and h are variables where h is independent of v but v is dependent of h (v is a function of h and t).

The Attempt at a Solution

dv/(k+v^2) = dt/h.
The problem I have is with dealing with the right side. I know how to integrate the left side because the left side is arctangent, but I don't know what to do with the right side.
h is independent of t, so i was thinking I can treat it as a constant here? so the right side becomes t/h?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know now the form of h?

h does not depend on v but v depends on h? The real question is "does h depend on t or vice-versa?" If not, then you are really saying that h is treated as a parameter.

Just treat it as a constant. You will get a family of solutions depending on the parameter h.

1. What is multivariable integration?

Multivariable integration is the process of finding the area, volume, or other properties of a space with more than one independent variable. It involves integrating a function of multiple variables over a specified region.

2. How is multivariable integration different from single variable integration?

In single variable integration, the independent variable is generally represented by x and the integration is performed along a single axis. In multivariable integration, there are multiple independent variables and the integration is performed over a specified region in multiple dimensions.

3. What are the applications of multivariable integration?

Multivariable integration has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some common applications include finding the volume of irregular shapes, calculating work done by a force in three dimensions, and determining the center of mass of an object.

4. What are nonlinear differentials?

Nonlinear differentials are differential equations in which the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in nonlinear terms. This means that the relationship between the dependent and independent variables is not a simple linear one.

5. How are nonlinear differentials solved?

Solving nonlinear differentials usually involves finding an exact or approximate solution using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods. In some cases, it may also involve using computer software to solve the equations.