1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Murder scene

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    1 the problem and all known variables.
    A person is murdered in a room with a temperature of 20 deg C. At the time the body is discovered, the body temp is 32 deg C and is decreasing at an instantaneous rate of .1 deg C/minute. How long ago was the murder commited?

2. Related equations.
    Normal body temp is 37 deg C
    Y(t)=T+Ae^(-kt) where y(t) is temp at a given time, T is the room temp, and A and K are constants related to cooling.

3 attempt at solution.
    So my teacher gae the hint to have t=0 be the time the body was discovered. So you'd get 32 (y(0)) = 20+A ((e^0=1). I got that A=12. So plug that back into the eq. And because the body temp decreases at .1 deg C/minute, K would equal .1. So then I solve y(t) for 37 and I get -3.7 which if it were in hours, that answer would make sense. But since k was in minutes, I figured my answer was too so then I converted k to hours revised my answer and got -207 which is a really long time. I'm confused in where I went wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you make sure your units were consistent?

Notes:
    An instantaneous decrease rate of 0.1deg/min at some time means dY/dt at that time was -0.1/min
    You do not have a variable K in your equation - important to be consistent in your notation.

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3
    So I just solve dy/dt= -.1 when t=0 and that should give me my k?

5. Jun 19, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's how I read it.

6. Jun 19, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sentence " At the time the body is discovered, the body temp is 32 deg C and is decreasing at an instantaneous rate of .1 deg C/minute" seems to be saying that the 0.1 deg C/min applies at the time the body is discovered, if we read it as a standard English sentence. This gives two equations in the two unknowns k and t. Solving it gives a much more "reasonable" value for t (keeping t in minutes throughout). Try it and see!

7. Jun 20, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please ignore my previous response; it is based on a mis-reading of what you did. (I tried to edit or delete it, but I guess too much time has passed and so those options are now void.) The problem is your incorrect value of k: you need ##y'(0) = -1/10## (according to the problem's statement), so ##12 k = 1/10##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted