Increase CFM with Multiple Fans: Building Advice

• Thread starter jimbofoxman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfm Fan
In summary, the individual has built a unit several years ago but now wants to rebuild it to incorporate an electrostatic filter and bag filter. The current setup includes two 11 merv filters before the fans and one after, but the individual is considering adding more filters. The current filter sizes are 10"x24" and would be increased to 12"x24". Each fan is rated at 340 cfm, so using all three would result in more CFM. The individual is also considering using a bigger furnace blower if needed. However, the placement and ducting of the unit will play a role in determining the best flow.
jimbofoxman
I built the unit linked below several years ago. I wanted to rebuild it to utilize a electrostatic filter and bag filter. Right now I just run 2 filters (11 merv) before the fans and 1 filter (11 merv) after the fans. I know things like design, filters, etc all work into the calculations of this, but I am wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot by adding the electrostatic filter and bag filter.

Right now the filter sizes are 10"x24". Would be going to 12"x24"

Each fan is rated at 340 cfm...so to me all 3 running would be more CFM. One commercially available units run unrestriced at 1500cfm using a squirrel cage blower, then with the filters in place drop down to 1000cfm. Another one unrestricted runs at around 1000cfm and filtered 750cfm.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/392

I have a big furance blower that I was thinking of using if this one doesn't cut it, but that would have to be on the ground and now mounted.

All I know right now is the unit as it stands sucks up a lot of junk and I can see the particles of dust heading towards the unit.

Thanks all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The addition of more filters means more flow restriction but the electrostatic unit should be a minimal blockage as compared to a membrane type filter element. Running all 3 fans does, in theory, triple the flow since they are in parallel. A squirrel cage fan will usually produce more head pressure so it would probably fare much better in the scenario with the extra filters. If you are smart about the placement and ducting to the unit, I would (without seeing the fan curves) put my money on the floor unit being your best bet for getting the best flow through the unit.

I would recommend conducting some calculations and simulations to determine the potential effects of adding an electrostatic filter and bag filter to your unit. Factors such as design, filter efficiency, and fan power can significantly impact the overall CFM output. It would be helpful to gather data on the current CFM output with your current setup and compare it to the potential CFM output with the added filters.

Additionally, it is important to consider the potential drawbacks of increasing CFM. While it may seem beneficial to have a higher CFM, it could also lead to issues such as increased noise and turbulence, which could impact the overall effectiveness of the unit.

I would also suggest consulting with experts in the field, such as HVAC engineers, to get their professional opinion on the potential impact of adding the electrostatic and bag filters. They may have insights and recommendations based on their experience and knowledge.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider all factors and gather data before making any changes to your unit. This will ensure that you are making an informed decision and not potentially compromising the effectiveness of your unit.

1. How many fans do I need to increase CFM?

The number of fans needed to increase CFM will depend on the size of the space you are trying to ventilate and the CFM rating of each individual fan. Generally, it is recommended to have at least one fan for every 100 square feet of space.

2. What is the best placement for multiple fans?

The best placement for multiple fans is to have them positioned on opposite sides of the room, with one fan pulling air in and the other pushing air out. This creates a cross-flow ventilation system which is more efficient in increasing CFM.

3. Can I mix different types of fans to increase CFM?

Yes, you can mix different types of fans to increase CFM. However, it is important to consider the CFM ratings of each fan and ensure that they are compatible with each other. It is also recommended to have the same size and type of fans for optimal performance.

4. How do I calculate the total CFM with multiple fans?

To calculate the total CFM with multiple fans, you need to add the individual CFM ratings of each fan together. For example, if you have two fans with CFM ratings of 200 and 300, the total CFM would be 500.

5. What other factors should I consider when using multiple fans to increase CFM?

Other factors to consider include the size and layout of the space, any obstacles that may obstruct airflow, and the power source for the fans. It is also important to properly maintain and clean the fans to ensure optimal performance and increased CFM.