Air flow: pressure increase over a constriction and fan

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between fan speed, pressure, and airflow in a pipe. It is determined that with a constant diameter, the fan speed and pressure will also remain constant. However, when a constriction is added to the pipe, the pressure increases at the constriction and afterwards, contradicting the Bernoulli equation. This is believed to be due to compression effects in the air molecules. The relationship between fan speed, pressure, and airflow is further explored in different scenarios, such as with an adjustable outlet and when the door is fully open.
Imolopa

Homework Statement

So a fan sucks air through a pipe, and the outlet is near the fan, and thus the inlet where the air starts to travel is furthest away.

If the diameter is constant the speed would be constant due to the continuity equation, and I assume we neglect compression effects in ambient temperature within a building (assuming the air sucked in is from the inside air). So that means if the velocity is constant due to energy equation the pressure must decrease if we assume the height difference is zero.

Now by the Bernoulli equation and combined with the idea that the diameter of the pipe right before and after, and everywhere else is the same, so that the speed has to be the same (if incompressibility applies). Which from Bernoulli returns us a higher pressure right after the fan, because the speed can't increase (continuity equation and incompressibility). But the fan itself occupies area, all the blades that turn, so speed increases at the fan itself (continuity equation). But maybe at the location of the fan the area increases because the fan is bigger than the pipe, so then pressure would have to increase due to lower speed right where the fan is (Bernoulli) and the return to same old speed when area gets the same as for the pipe before the fan.

Now let's say that there is an adjustable outlet, which means that a door can be adjusted vertically to adjust air flow out behind the fan. And assuming the fan runs at constant speed. Now the more closed this door is the more pressure the fan would have to work against, thus you would achieve a max increase of pressure over the fan for the lowest volumetric flows (the door is more closed) because the fan has to "work harder" to keep blowing/turning at the same speed, while at the highest volumetric flows like when the door is more open or completely open the pressure increase over the fan would be minimal because the fan has to face least resistance when pushing the air.

If we add a constriction (1 mm thick) to the middle of this pipe, where the constriction has lower diameter than the pipe on both sides. Now the pressure actually increases at the constriction itself and is higher after the constriction than before (this especially notable when the above mentioned door is allowing higher volumetric flows). Now my Bernoulli argument does not hold here, because pressure would decrease due to higher speed through the constriction according to this energy equation. So I guess compressibility plays a role here.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli and continuity equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My gut feeling contradicts the following given data/results: Why exactly is the pressure higher going through the constriction and after, and this increase of pressure seems to go up with increasing airflow. And it seems like the pressure increase over the fan is at it's biggest when the door is fully open.

How to intuitively think of this situation, what is actually happening?

My beliefs that contradict the results:
I would believe that the pressure goes up when the fan blows at the same speed towards a more closed door. Also over the constriction I'd guess there would be a pressure drop which would increase with increasing volumetric flow. In addition I wouldn't believe that the pressure stays very high after the constriction, but rather reset to a more or less equal state (at the least lower pressure due to energy loss) than prior to the constriction.

Last edited:
Likes robertisakov
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing the pressure is higher at the constriction and afterwards because of the compression of the air molecules at the area of constriction, but I don't get the fact that the pressure increases with increasing volumetric flow.

1. What is air flow and how does it relate to pressure increase over a constriction and fan?

Air flow refers to the movement of air through a specific area or space. When air flows through a constriction, such as a narrowing in a pipe or duct, the pressure of the air increases. This increase in pressure is caused by the air being compressed as it passes through the smaller space. Similarly, a fan can also increase air flow and cause a pressure increase by forcing air through a smaller opening.

2. How does air flow impact the performance of a fan?

The flow of air has a direct impact on the performance of a fan. When a fan is placed in front of a constriction, the air flow will increase as it is forced through the smaller opening. This increase in air flow can cause the fan to work harder and potentially increase its speed. However, if the fan is placed after the constriction, the air flow will decrease and the fan may not perform as efficiently.

3. What factors affect the pressure increase over a constriction and fan?

There are several factors that can affect the pressure increase over a constriction and fan. These include the size and shape of the constriction, the speed and power of the fan, and the density and viscosity of the air being pushed through the system. Additionally, any obstructions or blockages in the air flow can also impact the pressure increase.

4. How can the pressure increase over a constriction and fan be measured?

The pressure increase over a constriction and fan can be measured using a pressure gauge or a manometer. These instruments can be attached to the system at different points to measure the pressure at specific locations. Additionally, the pressure increase can also be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the air flow, density, and velocity.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding air flow and pressure increase over a constriction and fan?

Understanding air flow and pressure increase over a constriction and fan is important in many industries and fields. It can be used in HVAC systems to optimize air flow and increase efficiency, in aerodynamics for designing and testing aircrafts and vehicles, and in medical devices such as ventilators. It is also crucial in understanding the effects of air flow and pressure on structures and buildings, and in designing ventilation systems for industrial processes.