Mutual Inductance dot convention?

In summary, current entering the dot on the first coil induces a voltage at the dot on the second coil. This voltage is negative.
jean28
Could anyone give me a link that explains or simply explain to me how the dot convention on the mutual inductance works? For example, I'm trying to draw an equivalent circuit that converts the dots into voltage sources of this circuit:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/CircuitMutual.jpg

But I can't seem to figure it out completely. I think a voltage source can be put between I1 and I2 that delivers j2 * I2 volts and another one can be put after the j8 inductor that delivers j2 (I1 - I2) volts but I am not sure.

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If current enters dotted terminal of one coil then positive voltage is induced at dotted terminal of the second coil. If current leaves it then induced voltage is negative.

szynkasz said:
If current enters dotted terminal of one coil then positive voltage is induced at dotted terminal of the second coil. If current leaves it then induced voltage is negative.

So according to that, if I do a KVL on the 3rd mesh I would get j6 (I2-I1) + 5 (I2) + j8 (I2) - j2( I1 - I2) - j2 (I2)?

Something like this:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/aac17e215cf907cd614a04bafdfd4775.jpg

1) Currents in both coils leave dotted terminals so voltage sources should have opposite polarization
2) Current enters the dot on L1 so "+" terminal of voltage source is on dotted terminal of L2 hence that voltage is negative

Last edited:
szynkasz said:
1) Currents in both coils leave dotted terminals so voltage sources should have opposite polarization
2) Current enters the dot on L1 so "+" terminal of voltage source is on dotted terminal of L2 hence that voltage is negative

Ok i finally got it now. You have no idea how grateful I am for this. Too bad I learned it too late but hopefully I'll be able to apply it well for my next test.

Now, if I could only figure out how to simulate the circuit in the first picture in PSPice or MATLAB...

PSpice uses K part for coupled inductances.

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Somehow it conveyed the concept better than any textbook.

Thank you!

Effective inductance dot convention

So just to make sure... if the current enters the coil at the dotted terminal..how exactly does that effect the other coil and it's dot regarding the mutual inductance...?

1. What is mutual inductance in the dot convention?

Mutual inductance in the dot convention is a concept used in circuit analysis to describe the relationship between two mutually coupled inductors. It is represented by a dot on the terminals of the inductors, indicating the direction of current flow.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated using the dot convention?

Mutual inductance is calculated by taking the product of the number of turns in the two inductors, divided by the total resistance of the circuit, and multiplied by the dot notation on the inductors. The result is in units of Henrys (H).

3. What is the purpose of the dot convention in mutual inductance?

The dot convention is used to establish a consistent and standardized way of representing the direction of current flow in a mutually coupled inductor circuit. It helps to simplify calculations and avoid errors in circuit analysis.

4. How does the dot convention differ from the arrow convention in mutual inductance?

The dot convention and the arrow convention are two different methods of representing the direction of current flow in a circuit. In the dot convention, a dot is placed on the terminals of the inductors, while in the arrow convention, arrows are used to indicate the direction of current flow. The two methods are equivalent and can be converted from one to the other.

5. What is the significance of the dot location in mutual inductance?

The location of the dot on the inductors is important in the dot convention as it determines the polarity of the inductors. If the dots are on the same side, the inductors have the same polarity, and if they are on opposite sides, the inductors have opposite polarity. This information is crucial in analyzing the behavior of the circuit.