Solving Mutual Induction Exercise | Let's Get Started!

• Thread starter charrotrust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the magnetic coupling between the coils is calculable using the concepts of inductance and mutual inductance. The position of the dots needed to identify the sign of the mutual inductance can be determined. If two currents flow in the two windings, the overall flow is calculated.
charrotrust
Homework Statement
Mutual Induction
Relevant Equations
L=Φ/I
hello PF. I have this exercise to do but I don't know how to do it.
Let's assume that the core in the figure is made up of ferromagnetic permeability material
μ = 2000 μ0. Let a = 4 cm, b = 2 cm, c = 3 cm the geometric dimensions, S = 8 cm2 the section
transversal, N1 = 100, N2 = 300 the number of turns of the two windings.
• Calculate the inductances of the two windings and the mutual inductances between
same;
• the position of the dots needed to identify the sign of the mutual is established
inductance;
• if two currents I1 = 3 A, I2 = 4 A flow in the two windings, both entering
on the side of the dots, calculate the overall flow concatenated with the two
windings.

Attachments

• jhkghjkjghkjhgjlkg.PNG
    jhkghjkjghkjhgjlkg.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
charrotrust said:
Homework Statement:: Mutual Induction
Relevant Equations:: [tex]\[L=\frac{\phi}{Ic}\][tex]

hello PF. I have this exercise to do but I don't know how to do it.
Let's assume that the core in the figure is made up of ferromagnetic permeability material
μ = 2000 μ0. Let a = 4 cm, b = 2 cm, c = 3 cm the geometric dimensions, S = 8 cm2 the section
transversal, N1 = 100, N2 = 300 the number of turns of the two windings.
• Calculate the inductances of the two windings and the mutual inductances between
same;
• the position of the dots needed to identify the sign of the mutual is established
inductance;
• if two currents I1 = 3 A, I2 = 4 A flow in the two windings, both entering
on the side of the dots, calculate the overall flow concatenated with the two
windings.
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Per the PF rules, you need to show your best efforts to start working the problem before we can offer tutorial help. What concepts and equations should you use to calculate the magnetic coupling between the coils?

Also, see the LaTeX Guide below the Edit window. The notation you are using apparently is not supported here.

For the calculation of the inductance I thought I would apply the following formula which derives from the definition:
[tex]L=\frac{\mu \mu _{0}N^{2}S}{l}[/tex]
For the calculation of mutual inductions I know that:
[tex]\phi =M\cdot i[/tex]
But how can I find the current?
As for the pellets, he has no idea. Do you have any ideas for me?

1. What is mutual induction and how does it work?

Mutual induction is the phenomenon where a changing magnetic field in one coil induces a current in a nearby coil. This is based on Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor. In mutual induction, the two coils are in close proximity, and the changing magnetic field in one coil causes a current to flow in the other coil.

2. What are the applications of mutual induction?

Mutual induction has many practical applications, including in transformers, which are used to step up or step down voltage in power transmission. It is also used in wireless charging technology, where a changing magnetic field is used to induce a current in a device to charge it. Mutual induction is also used in induction motors, generators, and many other electrical devices.

3. How can mutual induction be calculated and measured?

Mutual induction can be calculated using the equation M = N1N2Φ/ΔI, where M is the mutual inductance, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the two coils, Φ is the magnetic flux, and ΔI is the change in current. It can also be measured using an instrument called an inductance meter, which measures the inductance of a coil and can be used to determine the mutual inductance between two coils.

4. What factors affect mutual induction?

The strength of mutual induction is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coils, the distance between the coils, the cross-sectional area of the coils, and the permeability of the material between the coils. Additionally, the frequency and magnitude of the changing magnetic field also play a role in the strength of mutual induction.

5. How is mutual induction related to self-inductance?

Mutual induction and self-inductance are closely related concepts. Self-inductance is the ability of a coil to induce an EMF in itself when the current through it changes. Mutual induction occurs when the changing magnetic field in one coil induces an EMF in a nearby coil. Both concepts are based on Faraday's Law of Induction and can be calculated using similar equations.