Using the Mean Value Theorem to Prove Inequality for e^x and 1 + x

In summary: Therefore, e^x > 1 + x for all x > 0. For the second problem, we can use the given information to rearrange the equation and get f'(x) = f'(x)f(y) + f(x)f'(y). Then, using the limit definition of derivatives, we can show that the limit exists for all x, thus proving that f' exists for all x.
VeeEight
The following two questions are practice problems that I have been stuck on.

Homework Statement

Use the Mean Value Theorem to show that e^x > 1 + x for all x > 0

Homework Equations

Mean Value Theorem: If f: [a,b] to R is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b) then there exists a point c in (a,b) where f(c) = [tex]f(b) - f(a)/b - a[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the question by induction so I was thinking about first showing the inequality is true for an x > 0, and then using the Mean Value Theorem in the second step to show that this implies ee^x > x + 2 for all x > 0. The only thing is that I don't know how to use the Mean Value Theorem in this situation - I've tried a few random cases but I can't think of what my interval should be in order to get the desired condition.

The second problem:

Homework Statement

Suppose f'(0) exists and f(x + y) = f(x)f(y) for all x and y. Prove that f' exists for all x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are some things I gathered from the given information.

f'(0) exists implies that the limit as x approaches 0 of [tex]f(x) - f(0)/x[/tex] exists.

f'(x + y) = f'(x)f(y) + f'(y)f(x)
so f'(0) = f(x - x) = f'(x)f(-x) + f'(-x)f(x)
and so f'(x)f(-x) + f'(-x)f(x) = the limit as x approaches 0 of [tex]f(x) - f(0)/x[/tex]

I'm not sure if I am just going down the wrong path here since I tried to rearrange the above equation so it can look better but I got nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
f'(c) is the going to be somewhere on an interval [a,b].

For e^x this means that e^c = the average slope on the interval [a,b]
For 1+x this means the f'(c) = 1 = the average slope on the interval [a,b]

We know the e^c > 1 where c > 0

1. What is MVT (Mean Value Theorem)?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is MVT related to derivatives?

The Mean Value Theorem is closely related to derivatives because it provides a way to find the exact value of the derivative of a function at a specific point. It uses the concept of the average rate of change, which is the slope of a secant line between two points, to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point.

3. What is the importance of MVT in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is important in calculus because it allows us to make connections between the behavior of a function and its derivative. It also serves as a key tool in proving other important theorems in calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. Can MVT be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function?

No, the Mean Value Theorem cannot be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function. It only guarantees the existence of a point where the derivative is equal to the average rate of change, not the exact location of that point. However, it can be used to prove the existence of maximum and minimum values on a closed interval.

5. Are there any limitations to using MVT?

Yes, there are limitations to using MVT. It can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, it only provides information about the existence of a point where the derivative is equal to the average rate of change, but not the actual value of the derivative at that point.