My Daughter's First Program: A Random Number Generator

In summary, your daughter has created a working random number generator all on her own, 12 years old. She is a pretty special girl.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was just shutting down my 12yr old daughters computer. I found Visual Basic running. She has programed a working random number generator.
Sure she copied most of the code from the help screens. But she created the form, has a working text box, a lable displaying the results with a command button to generate a numer. All on her own.
Her first program! So cool...
What more could a old nerd ask for? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, what have you been feeding her? We all want to know!

:)

Zz.

Awww... I was disappointed at first that you didn't have a new baby, but this rocks too.

Happy First Random Number Generator (as far as your father knows :wink:), Fally, a.k.a. Partial Derivative! :smile: :cry:

First
Andom
Number
Generator!

FANGS!

i remember my first random number genator like it was yesterday

12 years old, and a girl? Wow, she must be mentally insane, just like the rest of us :smile: Congrats!

Congrats!

Awww, next thing you know you'll be hearing the pitter-patter of a finite element analysis program running around the house.

They grow up so fast! *sniff*

She is a pretty special girl, yep, sort of,... No, make that, way crazy. I am having nighmares at what may lie in our future! A GIRL!

Integral said:
She is a pretty special girl, yep, sort of,... No, make that, way crazy. I am having nighmares at what may lie in our future! A GIRL!
Congrats to the proud dad! :approve:

Integral said:

To throw away visual basic and start programming in C?

Hmm

Tell her to make a program which lists the first 500 prime numbers in the fastest way possible. It's really easy but might be fun for her :smile:

Let's celebrate!11 TONIGHT!11 :biggrin:

Unfortunately, this was really a streaming list of purchases being applied to Integral's credit card. :rofl:

:biggrin:

Integral said:
I was just shutting down my 12yr old daughters computer. I found Visual Basic running. She has programed a working random number generator.
Sure she copied most of the code from the help screens. But she created the form, has a working text box, a lable displaying the results with a command button to generate a numer. All on her own.

Lots more Integral. But good for you as I'm sure she loves you very much. Suppose though you might want to know what I mean by lots more: making it though adolesence relatively unharmed. Don't wish to be critical just reviving Ophelia that's all.

1. What is a random number generator?

A random number generator is a computer program that generates a sequence of numbers that appear to be random. These numbers are not predictable and are often used in applications such as simulations, cryptography, and gaming.

2. How does a random number generator work?

A random number generator uses a mathematical algorithm to produce a sequence of numbers that appear to be random. This algorithm takes a starting value, called a seed, and uses it to generate a new value. The process is repeated to create a sequence of numbers.

3. Is a random number generator truly random?

No, a random number generator is not truly random. It is a deterministic algorithm that produces a sequence of numbers that appear to be random. However, with the right seed and algorithm, the sequence can be reproduced.

4. What is the purpose of a random number generator in programming?

A random number generator is often used in programming to add an element of unpredictability to a program. It can be used to select a random item from a list, simulate real-world events, or generate random data for testing purposes.

5. How accurate are random number generators?

The accuracy of a random number generator depends on the quality of the algorithm used. A good random number generator should produce a sequence of numbers that are statistically indistinguishable from true random numbers.