Friend's Story: 2 Men Smash Into Windshield

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the two men driving in a sedan were traveling on a rural road in Vietnam when they were hit by a motorcycle. Neither man was wearing a seatbelt, and the employer was thrown forward and smashed his head on the windshield. His recollection of the conversation after the crash is suspect because he may not have actually had the conversation.
zoobyshoe
He and his employer were driving in a sedan on a rural road in Vietnam. (This was a few years ago-they were there on business). Suddenly a guy on a motorcycle came tearing around the bend in front of them headed straight for them. The employer, who was driving the sedan, swerved to avoid hitting the motorcyclist but ran the car into a tree instead. Neither of the two in the car was wearing a seatbelt.

My friend said he saw his employer thrown forward, but as if in slow motion, to smash his head on the windshield, then fall back into his seat. Greatly alarmed, he blurted out "Are you OK?"

His employer looked at him and said "What do you mean am I OK? Are YOU OK?

My friend said "Yeah, I'm fine, but you just smashed into the windshield."

"No" said the employer "YOU just smashed into the windshield!"

My friend looked at the windshield and saw there were two spiderweb fractures in it, one in front of each of them. Then he felt blood trickling down his face.

Each one of them had, apparently, watched the other smash into the windshield without being sensible that he, himself, had also done so.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
He and his employer were driving in a sedan on a rural road in Vietnam. (This was a few years ago-they were there on business). Suddenly a guy on a motorcycle came tearing around the bend in front of them headed straight for them. The employer, who was driving the sedan, swerved to avoid hitting the motorcyclist but ran the car into a tree instead. Neither of the two in the car was wearing a seatbelt.

My friend said he saw his employer thrown forward, but as if in slow motion, to smash his head on the windshield, then fall back into his seat. Greatly alarmed, he blurted out "Are you OK?"

His employer looked at him and said "What do you mean am I OK? Are YOU OK?

My friend said "Yeah, I'm fine, but you just smashed into the windshield."

"No" said the employer "YOU just smashed into the windshield!"

My friend looked at the windshield and saw there were two spiderweb fractures in it, one in front of each of them. Then he felt blood trickling down his face.

Each one of them had, apparently, watched the other smash into the windshield without being sensible that he, himself, had also done so.
Very interesting that neither were aware of their own impact.

Evo said:
Very interesting that neither were aware of their own impact.

The surprise and fact he must have jostled his brain pretty well makes his whole memory of the after-the-fact conversation suspect. It could be it never took place but was his way of slowly putting together the fact he'd just smashed into the windshield. The employer may have a completely different account of what happened right after the crash, and have no recollection of this conversation.

1. What caused the men to smash into the windshield?

The most likely cause of the men smashing into the windshield is a high-speed collision with another object, such as a car or a tree. Other possible causes could include a malfunction of the vehicle or reckless driving.

2. Were the men wearing seatbelts?

It is not stated in the story whether or not the men were wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident. However, wearing a seatbelt greatly reduces the risk of serious injury or death in a car accident.

3. Were the men under the influence of alcohol or drugs?

The story does not mention anything about the men being under the influence. However, driving under the influence greatly impairs a person's ability to drive safely and can lead to serious accidents.

4. What type of injuries did the men sustain?

The story does not specify the type of injuries the men sustained. However, based on the fact that they were thrown through the windshield, it is likely that they suffered from head trauma, broken bones, and lacerations.

5. What can be done to prevent accidents like this from happening?

To prevent accidents like this, it is important for drivers to follow traffic laws and practice safe driving habits. This includes not driving under the influence, wearing seatbelts, and paying attention to the road at all times. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of vehicles can help prevent malfunctions that could lead to accidents.