Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My GPA is pi

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    yup. I just took two summer classes and now my gpa is 3.141. heh, I just hope I can keep it here until i graduate next spring, not greater, not lower. That would be neat to have on my resume, I would just replace it with the actual greek symbol pi, that would be cool.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2
    lol. total sweetness.

4. Aug 12, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be so funny. That'll be like the ultimate nerd thing to do.

5. Aug 12, 2007 #4
    Don't forget the [itex]\approx[/itex]... especially if you are a student of mathematics. :biggrin:

6. Aug 12, 2007 #5
    Is that a good GPA or something?

7. Aug 12, 2007 #6
    I remember one time in 8th grade I got a GPA of pi. But you want to know what's better than a GPA of pi? A GPA of 3.2.

8. Aug 12, 2007 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you slack off a bit, you might be able to get a GPA of e.

9. Aug 12, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The rounding is terrible, should be 3.142 :wink:

Don't worry I made the same mistake.

10. Aug 12, 2007 #9
    yeah, you're right... hence the reason i have a gpa of pi.

11. Aug 12, 2007 #10

ranger

Gold Member

You're proud to have a GPA of pi? And you want to keep it that way because it looks cool? I hope you realize that a 3.14 GPA is pretty bad.

12. Aug 12, 2007 #11
    Well I'm not planning on going to graduate school. I'm getting degrees in Physics and Aerospace Engineering and a math minor. I'll be fairly marketable. I haven't been trying as hard as I could to get good grades. I mean, I could study all the time, go to all the classes and be on time, and all that noise, but I'd rather not think of grades as being so important and hence get so concerned about them. I'm lazy, and I don't like jumping through hoops. I want to read what I want to read, I don't simply stick to only the assigned reading, I get bored with it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  13. Aug 12, 2007 #12

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's irrational to aspire to a GPA of [itex]\pi[/itex].
    A more rational goal is [itex]4[/itex]... [itex]\sqrt{16}[/itex] if you want to be a radical.
    [I'll stop now.:rolleyes:]

14. Aug 12, 2007 #13
    that would be cool if I could somehow have a complex gpa, but then again, no imaginary goal is a real goal.

15. Aug 12, 2007 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you're shooting for a 0.00 GPA. :wink:

16. Aug 12, 2007 #15
    Well I think that might be the ticket... ok, so I gotta retake all my classes and get f's. This might take a while but I think i can do it.

17. Aug 12, 2007 #16

Curious3141

Homework Helper

He's happy to transcend those petty concerns, besides a GPA of pi is normal. (Conjecturally, anyway).

And *I'll* stop now. :uhh:

18. Aug 15, 2007 #17

Gza

:rolleyes:

19. Aug 17, 2007 #18
    Actually, if that's your plan, maintaining a pi GPA may be a pretty good idea. I've heard that many employers receive so many resumes that they only have time to skim (some small fraction of the total number of) resumes that they get. Thus, as something that would make the reader do a double take, even if not objectively all that impressive... Nifty!

20. Aug 17, 2007 #19

ranger

Gold Member

I doubt HR would be impressed with pi. If an actual engineer, physicist, etc is looking at his resume, they would most likely do a double take. And yes, grades are important - how else can you demonstrate to the employer that you're familiar with the course material? May impressive REUs, internships, and academic projects?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  21. Aug 17, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is some truth in that, but I am reminded of an old Gary Larson cartoon. It shows a middle-aged guy sitting up in his bed and looking very shocked and horrified. The caption read ~: "Suddenly, Bob realized that no one cares what his GPA was".

I was a hard earned 3.65 in the end, but only one person has ever asked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?