Model of Light: Exploring My Imagery of Light

• Thread starter Monitor16807
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Model
In summary, The conversation discusses different models for understanding light, including Newtonian physics and electromagnetic theory. The idea is proposed that light is a result of the oscillation of an electromagnetic field, caused by the movement of charged particles. However, it is noted that this model is not mathematically accurate and that quantum theory is necessary for a complete understanding of light. The conversation also touches on the different types of waves and how they are created.
Monitor16807
First I would like to say, I'm not that old and only know very basic things about physics i.e. Newtonian physics, also, I've not learned the maths for electromagnetic physics, so no need to try and explain it to me using that. I'm basically asking if you could tell me if I have a good model for imagining what light is.

So we have have 1 piece of rubber on a body of water, there are no waves what so ever, then someone throws a second piece of rubber on the water, this creates a wave, this wave then reaches the first piece of rubber and it starts oscillating up and down.

The water would be the electromagnetic field.
The 2 pieces of rubber would be electrons or any thing capable of emitting light.
The wave would be the light (photon?).

Remember this isn't suppose to be mathematically accurate, just a mind image.

I'm just saying light is actually the electromagnetic field (moving outwards at all time?) that just happened to have an oscillating source?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Newtonian physics does a poor job of modeling light. It is essentially because of this fact that modern physics has been so successful.

Electromagnetic theory is a good model as long as you're dealing with big things. Light, on a large scale looks like a wave.

When you work with smaller things like electrons, things get messy and you have to break out quantum theory.

Monitor16807 said:
Remember this isn't suppose to be mathematically accurate, just a mind image.

I'm just saying light is actually the electromagnetic field (moving outwards at all time?) that just happened to have an oscillating source?

Yes, it is quite a working model of light. Emitting means moving outwards, correct. But waves from other sources can reach the original source and make it move (= incident wave scattering).

Bob.

light is the quantum.relative equivalence of sound

There are four kinds of waves in verse fluid.
Waves that bob up and down by surface are Rayleigh waves.
The fastest travel through as p or sound or light waves.

Peace
rwj

One thing to note though, an electromagnetic wave is created by currents that change in time. So you need to have a moving charge(s) to have radiation.

1. What is the model of light?

The model of light is a representation of the behavior and properties of light, including its wave-like and particle-like nature. It helps scientists and researchers understand how light behaves and interacts with different materials and environments.

2. How does the model of light explain the phenomenon of reflection?

The model of light explains reflection as the bouncing of light rays off a surface. When light hits a smooth surface, such as a mirror, most of the light is reflected in a predictable pattern, allowing us to see our own reflections.

3. What is the difference between the wave and particle models of light?

The wave model of light describes light as an electromagnetic wave, while the particle model (also known as the quantum model) describes light as a stream of particles called photons. Both models have been successful in explaining different aspects of light behavior and are used in different scientific contexts.

4. How does the model of light explain color?

The model of light explains color as the result of different wavelengths (or colors) of light being absorbed or reflected by objects. For example, when white light hits a red apple, the apple absorbs all colors except for red, which is reflected and perceived by our eyes.

5. How has the model of light evolved over time?

The model of light has evolved significantly over time as new scientific discoveries and technologies have been developed. From ancient Greek philosophers proposing that light is made up of tiny particles, to Isaac Newton's experiments with prisms and color, to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, the model of light continues to be refined and expanded upon by scientists today.