1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My PGRE List

Tags:
  1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    These are the books that i have decided to study from for my PGRE...Any advice and recommendations are needed.....

Fundamentals of Physics : Halliday, Resnick and Walker
    Introduction To Electrodynamics : David J. Griffiths
    Introduction To Quantum Mechanics : David J. Griffiths
    Optics : E Hecht
    Heat and Thermodynamics : Mark W Zemansky and Richard Dittman
    Feynman's Lectures

please tell me what you think....thank you.. :D :D

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those should cover most of the material on the test. Personally, I recommend Shroeder's "Thermal Physics." It's not the most in-depth undergrad book on the subject, but I think it's written at a level perfect for PGRE Review.

Remember to study to the test! There are four released PGRE exams. Check those out and see what topics the GRE people like, and make sure you know those cold. Also, make sure to take two of those practice exams under test like conditions.

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
    yes..i definitely will..Thanks...
    Also,is there any other book i'll be needing????

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The only thing I think you may want to add is a modern physics book of some sort, just to review special relativity and the classic modern physics experiments (Frank-Hertz, Photoelectric Effect, Thompson e/m, etc.). The PGRE sometimes likes to ask questions about these experiments. Also, if you'll want to review relativity and some relativistic kinematics, as there will be a few problems of this type.

The only other thing you'd possibly want is some basic book on elementary particles. Sometimes a few questions on basic elementary particle questions may pop up.

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5
    ok...so Which books would you recommend for that purpose then?

7. Aug 18, 2011 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've never taken a particle course as an undergrad. That was one book I never had. I know Griffith's has a book, but I've seen mixed reviews. You can try looking that up. I'm sure it will be enough to cover the basic particle questions that appear on the GRE.

For modern physics, I used Serway, Moses, and Moyer.

8. Aug 18, 2011 #7
    I am like 99% sure that Griffith's Particle Physics book is overkill for the PGRE.

9. Aug 19, 2011 #8
    alright...thanks...

10. Aug 19, 2011 #9
    how about beiser's book of modern physics???

11. Aug 19, 2011 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have no experience with that book. It doesn't mean it's not good. If it covers the topics in a standard, second year modern physics course, it should be fine.

12. Aug 19, 2011 #11
    ok then..i'll try out that one...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook