My textbook says electrolytes conduct electricity by the Movement of

In summary, electrolytes conduct electricity by the movement of positive and negative ions. Other than dissociating, they also form bonds with water molecules. Mobile ions conduct electricity in electrolytes by moving between the ions and the water molecules.
Celluhh
My textbook says electrolytes conduct electricity by the
Movement of positive and negative ions. I have always thought it was due to the movement Of free electrons but it isn't so . Why is this so ? I have visited a few websites but am unable to reach an answer . By the way, when we say ionic compounds dissolve , other than dissociating , they also form bonds with water molecules right? Is this the same as reacting with water? Do thy form new ions with water molecules ?? And most importantly , how exactly do mobile ions conduct electricity in electrolytes ?? Thanks in advance !

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Generally there are no free electrons in the solution, so this option (movement of free electrons) is out of the question.

Ions are getting solvated by water molecules - in a way you can think about solvation not as about chemical reaction, more like ordering of water dipoles just by electrostatic forces (that's not always true, but let's not confuse things further). Solvated ions float in the solution and can freely move.

An electrical current is a movement of a charge - doesn't matter if the charge is in the form of electrons or ions. If it is charge, and it moves, you have an electric current.

If I understand u correctly , ur saying the valence electrons don't actually leave the shells of the ions ?
And the solvated ions do not actually break hydrogen bonds between
Water molecules and form hydrogen bonds with water molecules themselves ? They just remain as they are in the solution ?

But in electricity electrons are the ones with electrical energy ? Isn't current just a conventional idea ?

Celluhh said:
If I understand u correctly , ur saying

Please, no textspeak at PF.

the valence electrons don't actually leave the shells of the ions ?

They don't.

And the solvated ions do not actually break hydrogen bonds between
Water molecules and form hydrogen bonds with water molecules themselves ? They just remain as they are in the solution ?

Presence of ions disrupts to some extent water structure, as molecules around ions are getting ordered. To what extent depends on the solution concentration.

But in electricity electrons are the ones with electrical energy ? Isn't current just a conventional idea ?

No idea what you mean by "electrical energy", everything I can think of is related to charge, not electrons. Electrons happen to be charge carriers, but not the only ones. Current is a flow of an electric charge through the medium, that's a definition, not a "conventional idea".

Ok so even if water molecules are disrupted , no chemical reaction actually takes place ??

Oh and sorry for using text speak !

Celluhh said:
Ok so even if water molecules are disrupted , no chemical reaction actually takes place ??

That's the first approximation.

Every ion is different and things can get complicated when you look at details, but even if there are some reactions between ions and water they don't change the way charge is transported in the solution.

Ok thank you !

Uh by the way, this is off topic, but is molten graphite and diamond and other giant covalent structures electrical conductors ??

Oh and , compounds can boil right? What happens to the atoms and molecules and ions when they are boiled ?

If you have unrelated questions, please start a new thread.

1. What are electrolytes?

Electrolytes are substances that are able to conduct electricity when dissolved in a solution. They are made up of ions, which are electrically charged particles.

2. How do electrolytes conduct electricity?

Electrolytes conduct electricity by the movement of ions. When dissolved in a solution, the ions are able to move freely and carry an electrical charge, allowing for the flow of electricity.

3. What types of substances are considered electrolytes?

Common examples of electrolytes include salts, acids, and bases. These substances are able to dissociate in a solution and form ions, which allows them to conduct electricity.

4. Why is the movement of ions important in the process of conducting electricity?

The movement of ions creates an electrical current in the solution, which allows electricity to flow. Without the movement of ions, electrolytes would not be able to conduct electricity.

5. How are electrolytes important in our daily lives?

Electrolytes play a crucial role in many bodily functions, such as regulating fluid balance, nerve and muscle function, and maintaining a proper pH balance. They are also important in various industrial processes, such as electroplating and battery production.