My way of finding lengths between 2 pts(complex numbers),what's wrong?

• Thread starter inv
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the length formula to find distances between two points represented as complex numbers. The user was trying to prove that UAB is an equilateral triangle, but encountered a discrepancy in the lengths of AB and UA. The solution was to use the modulus of a complex number and to note that (-√3-3i)^2 is not equal to (3-9).
inv
[Solved]Length formula to find lengths between 2 pts(complex numbers),what's wrong?

Homework Statement

I've 3 pts U(2i),A(-√3 -i) & B(√3-i),all complex numbers.A question asks me to prove UAB is equilateral.

Homework Equations

|AB|=√{(b-a)^2} for finding lengths.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I try to find two of it's lengths AB and UA.
|AB|=√(b-a)^2
=√{4(3)}
=√12
|UA|=√{a-u}^2
=√(-√3-3i)^2
=√(3-9)
=√-6
The two lengths not same,what's wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general we can find the modulus of a complex number thus;

[tex]|z| = \sqrt{z\bar{z}}[/tex]

Also note that [itex]\left(-\sqrt{3}-3i\right)^2 \neq (3-9)[/itex] as you have in your solution for |UA|

Problem solved and thanks indeed*

1. How do you find the length between two complex numbers?

To find the length between two complex numbers, you will need to use the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between the real and imaginary parts of the two complex numbers. This can be represented as:

|z1 - z2| = √((x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2)

2. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length between two complex numbers?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles. The distance between two complex numbers forms a diagonal line, not a right angle, and therefore cannot be solved using the Pythagorean Theorem.

3. Is there a difference between finding the length between two real numbers and two complex numbers?

Yes, there is a difference. When finding the length between two real numbers, we can simply use the absolute value of the difference between the two numbers. However, when dealing with complex numbers, we must take into account both the real and imaginary parts in the distance formula.

4. What happens if one of the complex numbers is in polar form?

If one of the complex numbers is in polar form, you will need to convert it to rectangular form before using the distance formula. This can be done by using the conversion formulas: x = r cos θ and y = r sin θ, where r is the modulus (or length) and θ is the argument (or angle) of the polar form.

5. Can the distance between two complex numbers be negative?

No, the distance between two complex numbers cannot be negative. The distance between two points is always a positive value, as it represents the length of the line connecting the two points.