1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N Particles in a box

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    N Particles in a box
    A box consists of a gas that we'll treat as distinguishable particles. The box is divided into equal parts (right-left), by a partition with a small hole in it. Assume the particles are non-interacting and move back and forth between the two sides through a hole in a statistically independent fashion.
    a. if each distinguishable particle is considered to have two states, L and R, depending on its position in side L or side R, what is the total number of different states of all the particles considered together?
    b. for a given number of total particles N (with half in the right side and half in the left side), what is the multiplicity of states possible in terms of N, N right, N left?

so for part a. I think that the total number of states is (2)^N because each event is an independent event (each particle)-- like tossing a coin?! There are too states that all of the particles are in one of the sides (one left +one right).
    For the multiplicity I got g= N!/(2(N/2)!). Are my assumptions correct?
    I dont know how to do the second part.

I'll appreciate any suggestions,

Thank you,

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?