What is the value of m for QRPT to be defined?

In summary, in order for (QR)T P to be defined, the dimensions of Q and R must be such that n=3 and the resulting transpose of QR is 2 by m, where m is the number of rows in P.
doxa1
1. Suppose P is a 5x4 matrix, Q is an nxm matrix and R is a 3x2 matrix. If (QR)T P is defined then ...

a) n=4, m=3 or
b) n=4, m=2

I have no idea what to do. This is basic stuff... I am doing a correspondence course (no lecturers to help), so I am stuck at this and some of my other questions. Where do I start in solving this? I really want to grasp linear algebra and not just get an answer.

I know that a 5x4 matrix has 5 rows and 4 columns and that is = P. What do they mean by (QR)T?

I think that someone who understands this will easily see what they are referring to and unfortunately I am not there at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, thanks for the links...will check it out.

In order to multiply AB where A is an m by n matrix and B is a u by v matrix, ("m by n" meaning "m rows, n columns") we must have n= u and the result will be an m by v matrix.

Since Q is m by n and R is 3 by 2, in order to multiply QR we must have n= 3 and then QR is m by 2 which means its transpose is 2 by m. Now what must m be in order to multiply that by P, a 5 by 4 matrix?

Related to What is the value of m for QRPT to be defined?

1. What is an N x m matrix?

An N x m matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or values arranged in rows and columns. The first number, N, represents the number of rows and the second number, m, represents the number of columns.

2. How is the size of a matrix determined?

The size of a matrix is determined by the number of rows and columns it contains. For example, an N x m matrix has N rows and m columns, giving it a total of N x m elements.

3. What is the significance of the size of a matrix?

The size of a matrix is significant because it determines the number of elements or values that can be stored in the matrix. This, in turn, affects the operations that can be performed on the matrix, such as addition, multiplication, and transpose.

4. Can an N x m matrix have a different number of rows and columns?

Yes, an N x m matrix can have a different number of rows and columns. This means that it is not necessarily a square matrix, where the number of rows and columns are equal. However, the number of columns in each row must be the same for the matrix to be considered valid.

5. How is the value of a specific element in a matrix determined?

The value of a specific element in a matrix is determined by its position in the matrix. The first number in the subscript refers to the row number, while the second number refers to the column number. For example, in a 3 x 3 matrix, the value in the second row and third column would be represented as a2,3.