Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nail growth hormone?

1. May 25, 2008 #1
    Nail growth hormone???

Hello

Don't actually know if this is the correct section but anyway.

Does anybody know how our fingernails grow? What stimulates them to grow? Is there something i could do more/take to help my nails grown quicker and stronger?

Thanks

_Muddy_

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know about hormones, but I think salt water helps growing and strengthening of nails. I only say this since, when I was a kid, we used to go on family holidays down south and I used to spend a lot of time swimming in the sea. After a few days my nails had grown a lot, and felt stronger too. This may just have been a coincidence, but I think there's some truth to it!

4. May 25, 2008 #3
    He plays guitar if anyone has a raised eyebrow, or is questioning why a boy would want to grow his nails.

5. May 25, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Nothing wrong with wanting strong nails: if I had strong nails perhaps I'd bite them less.

I am, however, a little concerned about your postcount.. it's a sign :devil:

6. May 25, 2008 #5
    I couldn't really find anything on google, most of the searches came up with growing healthy nails and how to paint your nails.

This is what I found anyway:

[Source]

_Mayday_

7. May 25, 2008 #6
    [​IMG]

The Number of the beast!

_Mayday_

8. May 25, 2008 #7
    So when im doing something like watching TV ill try soaking them in salt water?

Thanks

Open to any other suggestions

9. May 25, 2008 #8
  10. May 25, 2008 #9
    is there an actualy hormone or something in the body which makes nails grow?

11. May 25, 2008 #10
  12. May 25, 2008 #11
    Take a calcium supplement and gelatin capsules. Both are available at drug stores. Knox gelatin is one of the brands that comes to mind.

13. May 26, 2008 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Drink milk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?