1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nail growth hormone?

1. May 25, 2008 #1
    Nail growth hormone???

Hello

Don't actually know if this is the correct section but anyway.

Does anybody know how our fingernails grow? What stimulates them to grow? Is there something i could do more/take to help my nails grown quicker and stronger?

Thanks

_Muddy_

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know about hormones, but I think salt water helps growing and strengthening of nails. I only say this since, when I was a kid, we used to go on family holidays down south and I used to spend a lot of time swimming in the sea. After a few days my nails had grown a lot, and felt stronger too. This may just have been a coincidence, but I think there's some truth to it!

4. May 25, 2008 #3
    He plays guitar if anyone has a raised eyebrow, or is questioning why a boy would want to grow his nails.

5. May 25, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Nothing wrong with wanting strong nails: if I had strong nails perhaps I'd bite them less.

I am, however, a little concerned about your postcount.. it's a sign :devil:

6. May 25, 2008 #5
    I couldn't really find anything on google, most of the searches came up with growing healthy nails and how to paint your nails.

This is what I found anyway:

[Source]

_Mayday_

7. May 25, 2008 #6
    [​IMG]

The Number of the beast!

_Mayday_

8. May 25, 2008 #7
    So when im doing something like watching TV ill try soaking them in salt water?

Thanks

Open to any other suggestions

9. May 25, 2008 #8
  10. May 25, 2008 #9
    is there an actualy hormone or something in the body which makes nails grow?

11. May 25, 2008 #10
  12. May 25, 2008 #11
    Take a calcium supplement and gelatin capsules. Both are available at drug stores. Knox gelatin is one of the brands that comes to mind.

13. May 26, 2008 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Drink milk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?