1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nails and Stress

1. Jun 23, 2005 #1
    Guys, why do you think the standard nail is designed with a pointed end and where the top has a cap? What does this imply to the 2 kinds of stress which are normal stress and shear stress? Isn't the pointed end kinda works like a wedge?

Also, why does a homogenous material when broken is always cut at an angle of almost 45 degrees?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Keep going on the lines of a wedge. A very small area, i.e. a point and a large, sudden force applied =????

In pure axial loading, the 45° plane is the plane where the max shear stress resides.

4. Jun 25, 2005 #3
    i kanda understand now the nail part. But about the pure axial loading, i'm still having trouble with it...?

umm, can you somehow give me a starting equation that might explain this and all the necessary conditions needed for this to happen??? :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?