Why Do Nails Change Color with Temperature?

• Thread starter superduke1200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary: It is more logical to have something in common with these jeans.In summary, the nail polish changes color depending on the temperature.
superduke1200
Hello everyone. The title of my question may look a bit silly, but I think it is quite interesting.

Before a couple of days, my aunt told me that she found a paint? for her nails, which had the following feature:
her nails would have a specific color when she was in her house and a different one when she went out of it.

That was a bit surprising and at first I could not figure out why would this even be possible. I assumed that, since the wavelength spectra of the photons that exist out of our houses is the same with the one, in them.

Then I "stepped" on WIEN'S law and wondered if it has to do with the different temperature between inside and outside the house.

Physics news on Phys.org
superduke1200 said:
Hello everyone. The title of my question may look a bit silly, but I think it is quite interesting.

Before a couple of days, my aunt told me that she found a paint? for her nails, which had the following feature:
her nails would have a specific color when she was in her house and a different one when she went out of it.

That was a bit surprising and at first I could not figure out why would this even be possible. I assumed that, since the wavelength spectra of the photons that exist out of our houses is the same with the one, in them.

Then I "stepped" on WIEN'S law and wondered if it has to do with the different temperature between inside and outside the house.
http://www.gemstone.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127:sapphire&catid=1:gem-by-gem&Itemid=14

<<The most sensational feature about this stone, however, is its surprising ability to change its colour. Green or bluish-green in daylight, alexandrite turns a soft shade of red, purplish-red or raspberry red in incandescent light.>>

The explanation of the phenomenon concerning Alexandrite seems this:

http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters...e-color-in-sunlight-and-artificial-light.html

Probably that nail's paint has a similar property.

--
lightarrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I have to admit. But it refers to incandescent light, which if I am not wrong originates for example from a lamp, in our house. Incandescent light means that is does not originate from the sun.

On the contrary, those paints are supposed to change color under sunlight, without the use of any incandescent light.

lightarrow said:
http://www.gemstone.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127:sapphire&catid=1:gem-by-gem&Itemid=14

<<The most sensational feature about this stone, however, is its surprising ability to change its colour. Green or bluish-green in daylight, alexandrite turns a soft shade of red, purplish-red or raspberry red in incandescent light.>>

The explanation of the phenomenon concerning Alexandrite seems this:

http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters...e-color-in-sunlight-and-artificial-light.html

Probably that nail's paint has a similar property.

--
lightarrow
Another possibility would be thermochromic dyes, as in these jeans. Wien's law would not explain the colour change, as a body needs to be much hotter than room temperature for there to be a significant amount of visible light emitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vagn said:
Another possibility would be thermochromic dyes, as in these jeans. Wien's law would not explain the colour change, as a body needs to be much hotter than room temperature for there to be a significant amount of visible light emitted.
It is more logical to have something in common with these jeans.

Your note about Wien's law is essentially true.

my wife uses nail polish that changes with temperature
pretty cool

superduke1200 said:
Interesting, I have to admit. But it refers to incandescent light, which if I am not wrong originates for example from a lamp, in our house. Incandescent light means that is does not originate from the sun.
On the contrary, those paints are supposed to change color under sunlight, without the use of any incandescent light.
You wrote:
"her nails would have a specific color when she was in her house and a different one when she went out of it.".
I replied that Alexandrite has a specific colour as seen under an incandescent light [that is, inside home] and another under sunlight [that is, out of home]. So, what you intended exactly? That when at home she looks at her nails during the day, near an open window?

--
lightarrow

davenn said:
my wife uses nail polish that changes with temperature
pretty cool
You mean that you can understand if she is getting angry from the fact her nails' colour changes from light blue to dark red? :smile:

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
You mean that you can understand if she is getting angry from the fact her nails' colour changes from light blue to dark red? :smile:

naaa, much more interesting than that :wink:

it is quite temperature sensitive

At the moment she has a problem with the ring finger on her left hand ( hasn't been able to wear her wedding ring for 12 months because of the swelling etc
( she goes in for surgery in Jan 2016 to hopefully fix the problem) ... there's tendon problem further down in the palm of the hand causing the problems

The swelling comes and goes and when her finger is swollen it's temperature is a little higher than the other fingers on that hand and as a result the temp sensitive
nail polish changes colour where it doesn't on the other fingernails. Just an interesting observation

cheers
Dave

1. How do nails change color?

Nails change color due to a process called thermochromism, which is the ability of a substance to change color when exposed to heat or cold.

2. What causes the color change in nails?

The color change in nails is caused by a pigment called melanin, which is responsible for giving our skin, hair, and nails their color. When exposed to different temperatures, the melanin in our nails reacts and causes the color change.

3. Why do some people's nails change color more easily than others?

Some people's nails may change color more easily because they have a higher concentration of melanin in their nails. This means that their nails are more sensitive to temperature changes and can change color more quickly.

4. Can the color-changing effect be permanent?

No, the color-changing effect on nails is temporary. Once the nails are no longer exposed to heat or cold, they will return to their original color. The duration of the color change may vary depending on the individual's nail health and the intensity of the temperature change.

5. Are there any health concerns associated with color-changing nails?

No, color-changing nails are not a sign of any health concerns. It is a natural reaction of the melanin in our nails and does not pose any risks. However, if you notice any drastic or unusual changes in your nails, it is always best to consult a doctor.