What Are Functions Called That Are Linearly Dependent With Their Derivatives?

• B
  • Thread starter Gaussian97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: These functions can be expressed as linear combinations of the exponential function with complex arguments.
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Is there a name for functions that are linearly dependent with its derivatives?
Is there a name for functions that are linearly dependent with its derivatives? i.e. a function ##f(x)## such that, for some value of ##n## it fulfills
$$f^{(n+1)} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \alpha_k f^{(k)}$$
are linearly dependent?

Likes Stephen Tashi and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
As an example
[tex]f(x)=e^{ax}[/tex]as
[tex]f^{(n+1)}(x)=a f^{(n)}(x)[/tex]so
[tex]\alpha_n=a[/tex] otherwise [tex]\alpha_k=0[/tex] There are other expressions, e.g.,
[tex]\alpha_k=\frac{1}{n+1}a^{n-k+1}[/tex]
The component functions are all the same.

Yes, if we define the set ##D_k## as the set of all such functions with ##n=k-1##, then any exponential would be on ##D_1## because the first derivative is LD to the function itself, ##\sin{x}## and ##\cos{x}## would be on ##D_2## because the second derivative is LD to the function, and a polynomial with degree ##j## would be on ##D_{j+1}##. But I was asking if there is a special name given to such functions.

I don't think you get polynomials in this set, the top degree gets destroyed by derivatives so you can never get rid of it with a linear equation in the derivatives.

I don't know of a name for these. I suspect they are all secretly linear combinations of the exponential function with complex arguments, e.g.

$$\sin(x)=\frac{ e^{ix} - e^{-ix}}{2}.$$

Gaussian97 said:
Summary:: Is there a name for functions that are linearly dependent with its derivatives?
Is this equivalent to asking about all functions that are solutions to some homogeneous linear differential equation with constant coefficients?

Likes jasonRF

Related to What Are Functions Called That Are Linearly Dependent With Their Derivatives?

1. What is a sine-like function?

A sine-like function is a mathematical function that resembles the shape of a sine curve. It is a periodic function that oscillates between a maximum and minimum value.

2. How is a sine-like function different from a sine function?

A sine-like function is a broader term that encompasses any function that has a similar shape to a sine curve. A sine function, on the other hand, specifically refers to the trigonometric function sin(x).

3. What are some real-life examples of sine-like functions?

Sine-like functions can be found in various natural phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a spring, and the tides in the ocean. They are also commonly used in modeling sound and light waves.

4. How are sine-like functions used in scientific research?

Sine-like functions are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena and can provide valuable insights and predictions.

5. Are there other types of functions that resemble sine curves?

Yes, there are several other types of functions that have a similar shape to a sine curve, such as cosine, tangent, and cotangent functions. These functions are also commonly used in scientific research and applications.