Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of this electrical circuit?

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm woundering whether this circuit has some kind of dedicated name in the field?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22589354/VoltageDivider2.jpg [Broken]

It's not just the average voltage divider as it it influences the serial part as well the parallel part in the same time.
    And does anybody know when it is typically used?

Thanks,

NivaOne

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Rp is set up as a voltage divider driving RB as a load.

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3
    Looks like Rp is a potentiometer....like Simon said above, looks like a voltage divider, where the voltage across Rb can be anywhere between 30 and 0 volts, and in between the extremes, the voltage resulting from the voltage division between Rp and Rb.

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I think it is commonly referred to as a Manually Controlled Variable Potential Reduction Demonstrator. (just kidding)

6. Sep 29, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Controlled Level Indexed Total Offset Resistance Indicator System

7. Sep 29, 2013 #6

meBigGuy

Gold Member

baaaaaad boyyyyyy. That'll cost you 2 points at least!
    How about
    Hybrid Electromotively Adjustable Thermal Efficiency Reducer.

8. Sep 29, 2013 #7
    I don't really see how you could get 30 V across the load with this set-up. If it is indeed a potentiometer, than Rp can either be in series with the load or in parallel with the load, or somewhere in-between. Either way, Rp would have to be zero and in series for 30 V to appear across the load. My apologies if I am wrong.

9. Sep 29, 2013 #8

meBigGuy

Gold Member

If a potentiometer is adjusted to its top adjustment the series resistance will be zero. Rp will appear in parallel with Rb

10. Sep 29, 2013 #9
    Right. My apologies! My head was in a book all day, so I for some reason was not comprehending that.

11. Sep 29, 2013 #10

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not a Red Dwarf fan then?
    ... that goes on the right, if the adjustment is not electromotive then it has to go on the left.

Presumably OP has the answer.

12. Sep 30, 2013 #11

meBigGuy

Gold Member

From Red Dwarf? ---- that means 4 points. Deriving jokes from silly-shows is not considered acceptable forum behavior.
    (Haven't seen much Red Dwarf. Maybe 5 or 6 episodes. It was a bit much for me. I'm more of a Lexx guy if you can believe that).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook