Word Game: Language-Related Clues and Lingustic Q&A

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Word Game is an interactive game that utilizes language-related clues and linguistic questions to challenge players' knowledge and understanding of words and language. The game is designed to improve vocabulary and language skills through fun and engaging gameplay. In addition to the gameplay, players can also participate in linguistic Q&A sessions to further enhance their understanding of language and its nuances. With its unique blend of entertainment and education, Word Game is a great way to sharpen one's linguistic abilities.
An obsolete (according to dictionary.com) definition is dangerously cunning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it parlous?

You got it...your turn now

This word can be the name of a type of adhesive or perhaps a weapon.

Well, mortar is an adhesive for stone or briick and a mortar is a type of weapon.

You've got it!

Two homonyms (both verbs) for this noun are as follows - a synonym for the singular form of the first homonym is the antonym of the second homonym. That is, word A, B, and C all sound the same and are spelled differently. The singular form of B has a synonym which is the antonym of C. What are the three words?

Rain, reign, and rein?

Good guesses but not what I was thinking. I did make a mistake - it should be the plural form for the first homonym, as in, "He/she/it [blank]...", and the plural form of this has a synonym which is the antonym of the 2nd homonym. Also, the 2nd homonym is the plural verb (as in "They [blank]..."

The 2 verbs each contain multiples of the same vowel and no other vowels. The noun has the same vowel and another single (different) vowel.

daveb said:
Good guesses but not what I was thinking. I did make a mistake - it should be the plural form for the first homonym, as in, "He/she/it [blank]...", and the plural form of this has a synonym which is the antonym of the 2nd homonym. Also, the 2nd homonym is the plural verb (as in "They [blank]..."

The 2 verbs each contain multiples of the same vowel and no other vowels. The noun has the same vowel and another single (different) vowel.
Dave, you are killing me. Is there a possibility that you can restate your initial challenge in one clean post?

OK, I'll try again. There are 3 words that homonyms. The first is a noun. The second is the singular form of a verb (such as "meets" as opposed to "meet"). A synonym for the singular form is also the antonym for the 3rd homonym (which is also a verb). So, let's say the words are meats, meets, and metes. Then meats is the noun, meets is the first (singular form verb), and a synonym for meet could be join, and an antonym of join (to bring together) is mete (to dispense). OK, it's a VERY tenuous move from meet to mete, and the third word should be metes, but that's the general idea. (BTW, these aren't the words).

The noun has something to do with buildings; another word for the first verb is clears; another word for the second verb is halt.

Lastclue...
They are former Mr. FBI's family

Hoover?
He was Mrs. FBI, not Mr.

How about frieze, frees, and freeze?

Turbo has it!

This word can describe something continuous, consecutive, or fluid.

Only thing I can think at the moment is flowing

daveb said:
Only thing I can think at the moment is flowing
no, but you are close.

The word is used in some senses as a synonym for "conducting".

turbo-1 said:
The word is used in some senses as a synonym for "conducting".

Leading perhaps?

No, "leading" is not it. The word is very frequently used in news stories about politicians.

applicable to a stream, a candidate's activity, operation of a process.

On-going?
These problems are too difficult for me..:frown:

It's an aspect of a football team's play-book.

turbo-1 said:
applicable to a stream, a candidate's activity, operation of a process.

RUN! Also applies to the football play-book! Even if it's not what your thinking of it does meet those criteria.

OK! I was looking for "running" (kind of complex set of meanings for that one). You're on deck sA!