Nanomaterial Converts Radiation to Electricity

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
Well, what if your bandgap material was a liquid then? In that case, you wouldn't care about structural damage.

I'd read that experiments in alphavoltaics have been done with Am-241 and liquid Gallium, but I can't find what the conclusions were from that research. Does anybody know, or have a link?

Anyway, the heating problem is also why I was suggesting the Particle Bed Reactor idea.
Because a PBR dumps out heat very efficiently.
Sure, it doesn't have much heat capacity itself, which means things could melt down very easily in the event of overheating, but that would be a tradeoff you'd have to accept, against the fact that such overheating is less likely to occur.

With a PBR, you're trading off longevity for power output, and that might make it good for a heavy-lift rocket, which only has to do its job for a short period of time. Your excess heat could be quickly dumped into a propellant, to generate/improve thrust.

How effecient are these materials in the gamma band and x band ranges. If the effiencies in these bands are high we may be able to use them for interstellar travel when the visible band is insufficient. Might also be a great way to use radiation from our present cores. Instead of just letting it irradiate our shields we can use the energy to additional power. Perhaps to complement the input power.

Last edited: