Should We Mandate National ID Cards?

• Thread starter avant-garde
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of a national ID and whether or not it should be mandatory for every individual. The current state of national databases and the issue of identity theft are mentioned, as well as the limitations and concerns surrounding the use of Social Security numbers as a de facto national ID. There is a shift in opinion towards the need for a secure national ID system, with the example of the UK implementing one.
avant-garde
Should every individual be forced to wield a National ID? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
I already have one, actually two including the state driver's license. There are several national databases, and they do a good job of keeping tabs - unless . . . .

Astronuc said:
unless . . . .
... unless someone steals your identity.

We do have a card that serves as a de facto national ID card. The problem is, the Social Security card was never intended to be used as an ID card. The protections are minimal (at best), which is one of the reasons we have such an identity theft problem in the US.

For a long time, I simply refused to give out my Social Security number when asked for it. My response to "What's your Social Security number?" was "None of your business. It's private." That worked for several years, until some bright boy figured out that, while they (insurance company/loan company/etc.) could not compel me to reveal my Social Security number, they were not compelled to file my insurance claim, give me a loan, etc. if I refused.

So we're stuck in a situation where a national ID scheme is needed and the only one available is incredibly insecure. Had you asked me twenty years ago about a national ID card I would have responded NO plus a choice expletive or two. I have since done a 180 on the concept. We need one.

The UK is getting one which will not only stop terrorism and save children but will apparently stop it raining on Wimbledon while allowing a British player to win.
There were concerns about the cost and government snooping but it's now going to be run by a private company so no worries there .

mgb_phys said:
The UK is getting one which will not only stop terrorism and save children but will apparently stop it raining on Wimbledon while allowing a British player to win.
There were concerns about the cost and government snooping but it's now going to be run by a private company so no worries there .
:smile:

mgb_phys said:
I don't understand - isn't it supposed to rain at Wimbledon? That's the whole reason for having it in England!

Related to Should We Mandate National ID Cards?

1. What is a national ID card?

A national ID card is an official document issued by a government that contains personal identifying information about an individual, such as name, date of birth, and unique identification number. It is often used as a means of identification and verification for various purposes, such as voting, accessing government services, and travel.

2. Why is there a debate about mandating national ID cards?

There is a debate about mandating national ID cards because it raises concerns about privacy, security, and potential discrimination. Some argue that it is necessary for national security and to prevent fraud, while others believe it is an invasion of privacy and could lead to discrimination against marginalized groups.

3. What are the potential benefits of mandating national ID cards?

The potential benefits of mandating national ID cards include easier and more efficient access to government services, improved national security, and reduced identity theft and fraud. It could also help track and monitor immigration and prevent illegal activities.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of mandating national ID cards?

The potential drawbacks of mandating national ID cards include the risk of privacy infringement, potential for government abuse and discrimination, and the cost and logistics of implementing and maintaining the system. It could also lead to exclusion and difficulties for marginalized groups who may have difficulty obtaining the necessary documentation.

5. Are there any alternatives to mandating national ID cards?

Yes, there are alternative forms of identification, such as passports, driver's licenses, and social security cards. Some argue that these forms of identification are sufficient for identification purposes and do not require a separate national ID card. Other alternatives include biometric identification systems and digital identity verification methods, which could potentially address some concerns about privacy and discrimination.