Nautical Miles to kilometers help?

• Thread starter rt3ll3z
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nautical miles and regular miles for sailing distance. The speaker receives orders to sail east for 38.1 miles, but later discovers that the distance was supposed to be 38.1 nautical miles. The question asks for the conversion factor between miles and nautical miles in order to calculate the distance from the pirate ship in kilometers.
rt3ll3z
Nautical Miles to kilometers help??

You receive orders to sail due east for 38.1 mi to put your salvage ship directly over a sunken pirate ship. However, when your divers probe the ocean floor at that location and find no evidence of a ship, you radio back to your source of information, only to discover that the sailing distance was supposed to be 38.1 nautical miles, not regular miles. Use the Length table in Appendix D to calculate how far horizontally you are from the pirate ship in kilometers.

I know the answer but i just don't know how to get it

Physics news on Phys.org

This appears to be a homework question, so it should go in the homework section.

What is the conversion factor between miles and nautical miles?

I.e.,
1 mile = ____ nautical miles ?​
or
1 nautical mile = ____ miles ?​

FAQ: Nautical Miles to kilometers help?

1. How do I convert nautical miles to kilometers?

To convert nautical miles to kilometers, you can use the formula 1 nautical mile = 1.852 kilometers. This means you need to multiply the number of nautical miles by 1.852 to get the equivalent distance in kilometers.

2. Why do we use nautical miles instead of regular miles or kilometers for measuring distance at sea?

Nautical miles are used because they are based on the circumference of the Earth, making them more accurate for long distance measurements at sea. Regular miles and kilometers are based on the Earth's surface, which is not a perfect sphere.

3. Are nautical miles and knots the same thing?

No, nautical miles and knots are not the same thing. Nautical miles measure distance, while knots measure speed. 1 knot is equal to 1 nautical mile per hour.

4. Can I use an online conversion tool to convert nautical miles to kilometers?

Yes, there are many online conversion tools available that can quickly and accurately convert nautical miles to kilometers. Just make sure to double check the conversion if you are using it for scientific or navigation purposes.

5. Is there a difference between nautical miles and statute miles?

Yes, there is a difference between nautical miles and statute miles. Nautical miles are used for measuring distances at sea, while statute miles are used for measuring distances on land. 1 nautical mile is equal to 1.1508 statute miles.