1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Navier-Stokes equation

1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    As show below the Fourier Transform of Naiver-Stokes equation. I wonder if the pressure should be in the Fourier transform? In the below transformation there is no pressure.

[tex]\frac{\partial\vec{u}}{\partial t}\+(\vec{u}\bullet\nabla)\vec{u}=-\frac{\nabla P}{\rho}+\nu\nabla^{2}[/tex]

N-S in Fourier space [tex]\frac{\partial u_{\alpha}}{\partial t}=-i\int(k_{\beta}-p_{\beta}u_{\beta}(\vec{p})u_{\alpha}(\vec{k}-\vec{p})d^{3}p+i\frac{k_{\alpha}}{k^{2}}\int(p_{\gamma}(k_{\beta}-p_{\beta})u_{\beta}(\vec{p})u_{\gamma}(\vec{k}-\vec{p})
    d^{3}p-\nu k^{2} u_{\alpha}(\vec{k})[/tex]

I got another question also, how can one interpretate the second term on the left hand side?
    Is this acceleration?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2
    I don't know about the pressure terms in Fourier space. What do the 'p' terms represent if they do not represent pressures?

The [tex](\vec{u}\bullet\nabla)\vec{u}[/tex] term does indeed represent an acceleration. Both terms on the left hand side of the N-S equations represent acceleration.

The first term represents accelerations arising if the flow is unsteady, and the second term represents the acceleration of a fluid particle arising from its movement in the velocity field.
  4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    the small 'p' is the momentum.
    Thanks that what I thought
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?