Navigating Engineering Curriculum as a Student with a Learning Disability

In summary, the individual is struggling with their engineering curriculum due to a severe learning disability. They are currently taking Calculus 1 and Physics 1, along with two challenging CSE courses and are struggling to keep up with the workload. They are considering dropping Physics as it is currently less important than Calculus and would allow them to take it with Calc 2 and algorithms next semester. The speaker suggests that taking fewer credits and focusing on the ones being taken may be beneficial, and also recommends seeking counseling and special instruction for the learning disability. They also support the idea of taking 12 credits a semester, as it may lead to better understanding and less stress.
Llama77
am a little behind in my engineering curriculum but not to worry. right now I am taking Calculus 1 and Physics 1 for engineers, along with two excessively hard CSE courses. I have gotten **** poor grades thus far because well its really hard for me to study all of this in a given day. I just can't do it. As somebody with a very severe learning disability I've come quite a long way. though I am fining it intensely hard to keep up with others, because for me to get material while it takes a normal student 1 hour it takes me 5. doing problems in the back of the book, 2 or 3 of them take me about 2 hrs. Its not that I can't handle the material, because I know I can do it, just with so much at once, it becomes impossible for me and in general all the grades go down.

Is it ok just to take 12-14 credits a semester rather than the 16-18 everybody else does.

I am asking because I have been contemplating dropping physics, as it currently is less important than calculus. If I did I would then be taking it with Calc 2 and algorithms next semester.

any suggestions, would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Self motivation is definately required to major in physics, but the neat thing is at some point classes are going to repeat themselves. I remember taking a lower level Math Physics class and learning how to compute volume integrals two weeks before learning how to compute volume integrals in Calc 3. Then it's more a matter of reinforcement and less cramming (though that still happens too). If you can afford the extra year, it is always better to take fewer credits at once so you can focus more on the ones you are taking.
Good Luck!

Have you had any counselling and special instruction for your learning disability? We have a terrific counselling program at my kids' grammar school and junior high. They are able to significantly increase the productivity of children with learning disabilities and dyslexia using certain techniques (I forget the name of the techniques -- maybe "Slingerland"?). They use multiple learning channels to help the chldren learn how to study and absorb material better.

If you haven't had that kind of help in the past, you should look into it. PM me if you want more info, and I'll ask the counsellor.

And as for taking more time to go through school, that's absolutely fine, especially compared to the alternative.

Is it OK to take 12 credits a semester? In my opinion, hell yeah! I have done that nearly every semester (twice I have taken 15 hours), and my grades are excellent (3.9+). Granted it will probably take you an extra year to graduate, but you will have more time to understand everything, and won't be as stressed. I say go for it.

1. How can a student with a learning disability navigate through an engineering curriculum?

Students with learning disabilities can navigate through an engineering curriculum by utilizing accommodations and support services offered by their university or college. This may include extended time on exams, note-taking assistance, and access to assistive technology. It is also important for students to communicate with their professors and academic advisors about their learning disability and any accommodations they may need.

2. Are there any specific challenges that students with learning disabilities may face in an engineering curriculum?

Students with learning disabilities may face challenges in areas such as math, problem-solving, and time management. They may also struggle with reading and understanding complex technical materials. However, with proper accommodations and support, these challenges can be overcome.

3. How can professors and instructors support students with learning disabilities in an engineering curriculum?

Professors and instructors can support students with learning disabilities by providing accommodations, such as extended time on exams, and by being understanding and flexible with deadlines. They can also provide additional resources, such as study guides or recorded lectures, to help students better understand course material.

4. What should students with learning disabilities do if they are struggling in their engineering courses?

If a student with a learning disability is struggling in their engineering courses, they should reach out to their academic advisor or disability services office for support. They can also talk to their professors about their challenges and work together to find solutions, such as alternative assignments or extra help sessions.

5. How can students with learning disabilities succeed in an engineering curriculum?

Students with learning disabilities can succeed in an engineering curriculum by utilizing accommodations and support services, developing good time management skills, and seeking out additional resources and support when needed. It is also important for them to communicate openly with their professors and seek help when they are struggling.